Aux lead

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
I am wanting to purchase an MP3 player to play tunes through the aux input. Am i right in thinking i just need to purchase a 3.5mm stereo to stereo lead to connect the player to the head unit?.

Would an mp3 player be the cheapest option to do what i want as i only want it for tunes - an ipod would be overkill wouldn,t it!

I thought I would do this before I got my FR... but in reality most of the time I can't be bothered to hook up my mp3 player - and unhook it again out of theft paranoia when parking for longer than a few secs - and I miss the track-skipping on the steering wheel. So I've just burnt several CDRs with mp3s and use them through the standard head unit. I can't shuffle my whole collection that way, but to be honest I'm generally in the mood to hear similar tunes from the same genre so I've just got a couple of pop CDs, a couple for chilled/late night compilations, etc... works well for me and doesn't need any wires or gadgets on display.

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
I spoke too soon. Buzzing - Between tracks its really bad. I also have to turn the volume up way high to listen to tracks - is this normal or should i be going back to the dealer?. What cable do you guys have - any buzzing?

Iv,e just looked at the packaging and i have bought a 3.5mm stereo plug lead with gold coloured ends. Should i have got a Car Stereo Auxiliary AUX-IN input Lead Cable 3.5mm instead?
I am very confused.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
mp3 player audio is always going to be quieter as its compressed when its put onto the mp3 player,the buzzing will be a poor quality lead that isnt connecting in the headphone socket or the aux in on the headunit properly

matt

Art0ir

TDi Ho
Sep 21, 2009
Newry
Yep. I use my phone as my MP3 player, but using it on higher volumes drains the battery so I tend to to turn it down to about 50% and just turn the car stereo up. Only disadvantage is the faint buzzing you mentioned between songs as the speakers are turned up and will amplify any interference you wouldn't normally hear :)

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
mp3 player audio is always going to be quieter as its compressed when its put onto the mp3 player,the buzzing will be a poor quality lead that isnt connecting in the headphone socket or the aux in on the headunit properly

matt

Can you point me in the right direction of a good quality lead.

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
I dont think it will be your lead, like said above it sounds like amplifier noise because of the high volume you are using on the car radio. To prove it lust turn the volume up to the same level without the lead in or if this mures the aux put a cd in and try it between tracks. The problem with you having you mp3 volume at 50% the sound output is already low. To get the best sound you realy need to turn the mp3 volume up to its highest setting without disrortion.

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
There is a AUX device +/- Gain Volume Control on the Head Unit.

Switch Head Unit on, select source as AUX, press left one of the botom six buttons, turn volume knob left/right, gains -5 to +5

IIRC the dealers sell an AUX cable for two or three quid, in fact there are two of varying length

robjnr

258 spanish donkeys
Oct 24, 2007
Bristol
You won't get rid of the buzzing but you can quieten it you can actually adjust the setting of the aux can't remember of the top of my head but have a play and you should find it that's what I did lol

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
Why don't you make up some MP3 CD's and use those instead? That's what I do in my car - you can get around 13-14 albums on a disc and if you put each album in it's on folder you can navigate between albums like you would CD's on a CD changer.

You also get ID3 info displayed on the head unit and full control through the steering wheel controls

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
There is a AUX device +/- Gain Volume Control on the Head Unit.

Switch Head Unit on, select source as AUX, press left one of the botom six buttons, turn volume knob left/right, gains -5 to +5

IIRC the dealers sell an AUX cable for two or three quid, in fact there are two of varying length

Did the above and it works a treat now.
Thanx for everyones comments

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.