B-pillar squeak that I can't get rid of

Cupracabra

Oct 31, 2022
Hi,

I have a squeaking sound coming from somewhere near the b pillar. The squeak occurs when I turn, and most notebly when I turn right. It also occurs under breaking and in bumps. So more or less all the time.

I have a LHD car so it sound like its coming close to where I have my left ear, near the seat belt hole.

I have cleaned all the seals, I have tried gummi pflege and now the VW Special lubricant as well without success.

This is driving me crazy. Am I missing a specific seal or place to put the grease?
Any suggestions on where I should lubricate?

Thanks.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I had the seals on the leading edge of the rear door (window/gloss black section) replaced under warranty for this. The seal on the rear door rubs against the front door when driving.

Cupracabra

Oct 31, 2022
I had the seals on the leading edge of the rear door (window/gloss black section) replaced under warranty for this. The seal on the rear door rubs against the front door when driving.
20230514_104853.jpg

This strip, that goes all the way up?

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Yes, but concentrate on the gloss black section at the top. The bottom part of the door is rigid, but flexes where the window section is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    590.6 KB · Views: 114

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Any specific section I should lube?
The front face of the seal that I sent in the photo - this is in contact with the front door when both doors are closed. You could also try removing this section of the seal and giving a liberal coat of rubber grease / gummi pflege.

After you have lubricated the seal, you can push the top of the front door frame to hear if the squeaking is still present.

Cupracabra

Oct 31, 2022
The front face of the seal that I sent in the photo - this is in contact with the front door when both doors are closed. You could also try removing this section of the seal and giving a liberal coat of rubber grease / gummi pflege.

After you have lubricated the seal, you can push the top of the front door frame to hear if the squeaking is still present.
I removed the seal in the picture and greased it up. The sound is still there. The strange thing is that I can't replicate it.

Cupracabra

Oct 31, 2022

Interestingly the squeaking is now gone. The car was parked outside in the rain over night, so either the water temporarily fixed it or the lube have fixed it over time. Either way that should indicate that the squeaking occurs from somewhere outside that is exposed to water.

Reactions: black_sheep

Cupracabra

Oct 31, 2022
Update:
The squeaking is now solved. It was not the seals, it was the locking mechanism on the inside of the door that hooks on the metal bar. I cleaned it and lubed it up with PTFE spray and it's now completely gone.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.