BATTERY VOLTAGES

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
No and I don't think that it is possible - well not possible with any VW Group EFB or AGM batteries that I have looked at.

Great, then I will do the same when I get the GOLF R (with EFB) back to southern Sweden where I live. It's used since two years in northern Sweden with temperatures now and then 10-25 Celsius below zero during winter. Often sitting for a week outside, not the ideal environment for batteries ;). Everyone have engine pre-heater there (electric heating of coolant). So far no big problems more than frozen looks! Very common problem on VAG MQB cars when it’s wet and later cold outside. More problems to lock than unlock….. This was OT.

/Peter

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
No problems like that in Northern UK, but, my daughter has had trouble opening unlocked driver's door on both her previous car which was a late 2009 SEAT Ibiza and again her current car which is a end of April 2019 SEAT Leon Cupra - again like with the locks in Northern Sweden, wet today and freezing overnight - it seems that SEAT and maybe Skodas suffer from moisture penetrating the rubber door seals and freezing, I've never had that problem with VWs or Audis which is strange. I normally apply some Krytox grease to the door seals on her cars just at the start of each winter - well I did with the late 2009 Ibiza so will probably do the same for her 2019 Leon Cupra now that I know it suffers from the same problem in certain winter conditions.

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
I deliberately told my older daughter to side step the "Time to go" version of CTEK, for 2 reasons, the version that you can command to do what you want plus "recond" is a few pounds cheaper. I thought that you @Polly with your back ground might have done the same, maybe not.

Recond is very handy for reawakening up these EFBs - and most of them will be getting used in a way that does end up with them getting sulphated.

Edit:- on the topic of reconditioning batteries years ago, probably batteries cost a lot more relative to a weekly wage back then and with their old style rough and ready construction they could benefit from a good wash out and refill, when I was a "boy" we tended to have mains radio LW, MW S1 S2 39M --- and they used a 1.5 wet cell to power the valve heaters. Among other stations there was the Trawler waveband and US forces in Europe stations, handy for Matt Dillan US Marshall - oh dear me!!

Edit:- sorry I got the RECND bit wrong, the Time to Go version also has RECOND!

Yes I did like the Mx5 version for its technicality but A/Express then recommended the Time to Go and THEN it was on a deal at Halfords and price promise and 10% trade card. [Manager did not like that and initially refused but we got there in the end]

Cheers Mate

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise