Best Spray Wax 2020

TomsLeon

Sep 26, 2020
What's the best spray wax available this year?

I'm currently using Chemical Guys Speed Wipe...which is pretty poor tbh. Doesn't appear to enhance the gloss or add any protection at all. Have also used the Simoniz stuff from Tesco which is equally useless.

I've previously used Farcela G3 Rapid detailer which was decent all round but didn't last long. And also Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer which was good for protection but not so much for the gloss.

Both are several years old now, so I wondering if there's something better?

Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax looks good...?

If Corona passes and show season starts again next summer, I'll get the car properly mopped for a deep, show type shine, but over winter I just something quick and easy!

Thanks

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
What are you looking for primarily from the product; protection and good durability or a show shine?

Assuming you’re looking for a product offering good protection during the winter months, then IMO a quick detailer such as those you’ve listed won’t give much, if any, protection. Those products are used primarily to top up the gloss look of your paintwork, but to be effective at doing that, the paintwork needs to be in generally good condition to start with (free of scratches and swirl marks, and maintained using a safe wash technique). Any protection a quick detailer gives will be limited to probably no more than one or two weeks.

Spray on waxes aren’t a durable as a decent paste wax so I don’t use them, but a good compromise might be to use a liquid wax which doesn’t take that much more effort to apply and buff off than a spray wax would, provided it’s applied thinly. It should offer significantly better durability than a spray wax though. My ‘go to’ liquid wax is Collinite 845 Insulator Wax. A couple of layers on decontaminated paintwork, and I’ve seen 6+ months protection before I’ve needed to reapply it.

Reactions: TomsLeon

TomsLeon

Sep 26, 2020
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm after 2 different products really!

One to provide base winter protection and durability for the next few months. And another to enhance the gloss after a wash.

Ease of use is the necessity though. I used to spend hours claying, polishing and waxing but sadly no longer able to hence just using spray products the last few years.

I may try the Collinite liquid wax...is there any knack to applying it thin enough to buff easily but still getting enough on the panel?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I use a foam applicator pad - like the one at the link below;

Put a small amount of the wax on the pad and apply it to the panel in a circular motion. It only needs to be applied thinly - if you apply too much you’re just wasting wax and it takes much more effort to buff it off. Buff off with a soft microfibre cloth. Apply a second thin layer - this ensures that any areas you may have missed when applying the first layer get some protection.

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Without going into too much detail, meguiars ultimate quik wax is great for a top up after a quick wash. I use it on mine, put it on top of 8 month old ceramic coat and it works a treat!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.