Best way to hard wire TomTom in?

tris

The Daddy
Feb 25, 2005
Kent & Track Days
www.leoncupra.net
I have bought a TomTom and want it hard wired into the Leon I have bought another cig lighter power lead so I can still use it in other cars I had a road angel that was spade connector into one of the empty fuse holes and earthed to a bolt above

Whats the best way to do this thanks ?

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
I have spliced the wires to the cig lighter in the ashtray and taken 12v from there. Then i've run a wire down from the igg source at the radio, put a relay in and earthed into the cig lighter plug again. I power my snooper and beltronics radar detector from this; should be the same with a tomtom. It probably isn't the pros way but it works. good luck.

StuPDi

old guy
Mar 30, 2007
Gillingham Kent
my phone kit, satnav, roadangel and ipod all run from the stereo harness.

might be worth splicing a 12v socket from your bluetooth kit??

a lot of these ciggie lighter powered items won't work if you cut the ends off due to some kinda power transformer!!

Stu

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
thats true, i did this on my old leon, basically took feeds from the stereo igg wire and the lighter plug to my glovebox and had a relay in there linked to a 3-way 12v socket; which had the added benefit of low battery cut off.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I ran one of those fag lighter splitters of the block under the steering wheel (fuse, of course), then plugged the TomTom car adaptor into that behind the dash.

Deleted member 7729

I have bought a TomTom and want it hard wired into the Leon I have bought another cig lighter power lead so I can still use it in other cars I had a road angel that was spade connector into one of the empty fuse holes and earthed to a bolt above

Whats the best way to do this thanks ?

Getting your tomtom in for LE Mans... :D

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
I bought a 4way 12v adapter, sliced off the end, and then hardwired this to the power block under the steering wheel. I then mounted this in the gap on the inside of the dash, then from here & can plug in my Sat Nav & Road Angel as you would do in your normal cig socket, but with everything behind the dash.

This way means that you dont need to splice any of your sat Nav etc, and the 12v socket on each electrical appliance will be fused, so you can have peace of mind.

I put up a guide on here somewhere with pics a few years ago.......

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent
I've literally just done this...after hunting down Chris's thread from last year!

This is the adapter he is talking about:

l94aw.jpg

£6.99 from Maplin...CLICKY

As Chris says...drivers side lower dash off (6-7 torx screws), which will reveal the power dist block under the steering wheel.

Chop the adapter plug off the 4-way jobby, and then crimp spades / Orings crimps on.

The wire with the white tracer is the +itive.

With a little pushing & squeezing the 4-way fits into the slot under the steering wheel where the Owners Manual normally fits...

Here's a pic installed:

06062008410cv2.jpg

Thats my Brodit phone charger plugged in but TomTom and anything else is dead easy to do...as you can imagine!

Took me about 30mins all told...shout if you want a hand...

StuPDi

old guy
Mar 30, 2007
Gillingham Kent
mines up behind the glove box in the audi, dunno if you can get to it on the leon??

or maybe even in the glovebox where the cd-changer normally goes??

personally i hate trailing cables anywhere, that's why i hardwired mine :)

Stu

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
DMMSTA - I actually have that box, but mounted on the other side (the inside of the dash), so you cant see it or any of the wires - looks 100x better (especially with Road Angel etc which has a extra long straight lead) !

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
yep you can mount it in the glovebox and run all the wires through where the changer is; had it like that on my old leon :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise