Big turbo options

dan.h

Hey guys, I don't have a seat but I'm always on here and there seems quite a lot of knowledgable people.
Basically I have a slow 20vt corrado project. I started collecting bits a few years ago.
Then things like houses get in the way so it took a back seat.
Initially I only wanted around 350 bhp but as time goes on that figure slowly creeps up.
So basically at the moment my engine which is not built up consists of 19mm rifle drilled rods, standard pistons, large port head with full supertech valve train. Spec stage 3 + clutch, full arp hardware, sem manifold, dta ECU and the rotating assembly is balanced.

Turbo wise I was looking at either a borgwarner efr 6758 or maybe the new garret gtx3067 with external gate.

Like I said I started collecting bits a few years ago and I have learned that 20mm rods with some forged pistons may have been the way to go.
I'm hoping for around 400 bhp but is it a bug and will I end up wanting more?lol. I know traction is an issue but race logic traction control may be on the cards and also it will be getting a diff.

To cut a massively long story short, am I aswell using what I have for now to build up the engine or not use my current rods and pistons an buy some 20mm rods and forged pistons.

What I'm curious of is would my current spec take the abuse of 400 bhp. As I understand it it's the pins that are the weak point?

Thanks for reading

Last edited by a moderator:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
GTX3067 on std stroke motor = laggy

cant comment on efr, never seen one in the flesh. GTX I have and I have found them to be laggy... not something I would consider (dont over do the hotside a/r )

for the framed turbos you mentioned... I would be fitting larger bore forged pistons personally.. and if you can stretch for stroker crank whilst its apart that will help things get going sooner

dan.h

Thanks for your help. I noticed you didn't really rate the gtx2867 which was what I originally planned I was thinking of one of these at first with the smaller tial hot side and external gate as I know the internal gated ones run hot.

My worry with the turbos already mentioned is they will probably be to much.
Ideally high 300 to 400 is what I would like.

Are there any other turbos that may fit in. Heard the fp hta turbos are pretty good but would expect tem to spool similar to the gtx turbos.

Trouble is I have no experience of big turbos so no idea how they behave with regard to traction etc. it was originally a ko3s on it and tbh it was quick then for a standard turbo.

Again thanks for your help.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
a decently small hotsided GTX2867 may do this..
just dont ruin it with too large a htoside a/r on std stroke motor

traction... you got a diff yet?

dan.h

Cool thanks, I realise a large hot side will kill spool. I would keep it to the smaller hot side.

No diff yet the car won't be ran without one. I have an 02A ctn diesel gearbox for it but I may change my mind in gearbox choice so I will get one once I know for certain.

s3matty

I had an s3 with mtm big turbo kit. Kkk23 turbo iirc
Went well approx 340bhp

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
egts suck on the mtm's... hotside very restrictive.. uber glowy
Stacys S3 one was horrendous for its egts.. larger hotside would have helped I think.. choked it.

Last edited:

dan.h

Thanks for the replies just seen these.

Well I sold my rods so now going with aftermarket pistons of some flavour,20mm rods and a small hotside billet 3071. Will probably go 1.9 for the overbore and keep std stroke. Keep considering a stroker but it's hard to justify when the car will probs only do about 2k miles a year and the extra money involved in a stroker would pay for an intake cam and a diff.

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
More torque and better spool from a stroker though mate.. if already boring the price difference is the price of a crank which is just under 500 quid from TPS...

<tuffty/>

dan.h

More torque and better spool from a stroker though mate.. if already boring the price difference is the price of a crank which is just under 500 quid from TPS...

<tuffty/>

Cheers mate I didn't realise they could be had for that, I was just looking at the integrated engineering kit and the crank would have been 1k $. Then import duty delivery etc it probably would have about 1k

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.