Black sooty smoke, no power, spent £1000 and still the same, someone help !

Cropsta

Aug 4, 2015
Hi all, the Mrs owns a Mk2 (2007) Leon FR TDI 170..
Had it around a year with no issues until now.
It was a one owner car with 152k & FSH
Drove mint when we went to buy it, couldn't knock it on a thing except for a bit of paintwork on the front bumper and a rear quarter.
Anyways,
Got a problem that no one can get seem to get tot the bottom of !
It stated off a few months ago by throwing a bit of blue/black smoke out of the exhaust when you first started it in the mornings, and it would tick over a bit lumpy for around 7 to 9 seconds then level off and tick over perfect after that, then it would run fine all day and not do that again till you started it the next morning.
Then about 3 weeks ago,mother mrs rang me and said it had just lost all its power and it was chucking out thick black smoke out of the exhaust..
When I got home, I went out in it and it was dead and I couldn't see any cars behind me in the mirrors it was that bad..
I'm not in the dark about engines myself, and it looked like egr issues the kind of sooty smock it was chucking out, it was that bad, you could see big particals of soot floating in the air when you revved it up.
So I took the egr off to see if it was stuck open which it wasn't, so I cleaned it out while I had it off and put it back on with no difference. So I blanked the egr pipe off at both end with metal plate and still got no difference.
I've plugged it in to Vag-Com & a solus ultra which both are coming up with no codes..
I've give it to 2 garages and they both said its gonna be the injectors with the miles its done, and I should do them first..
So I took it home, and while I drove it home, I pulled over, lifted the bonnet and unplugged the air flow meter. I got in the car again and driven it and it was back up on its power and the smoking stopped,, I thought "Buzzin", driven it around for a few hours like that and it was fine, so I got a new Geniune air flow for it. Stuck it on and it was was exactly the same again, dead/no power and smoking like hell..
Right, I'm going to put a list of what it's had, any advice/input would be great, as it's had a £1000 spent on it on bits upto now and it's the same.

It's had the air flow on it
Sensor on front lower boost pipe
Set of injectors
Injector harness
A turbo
All vac pipes have been checked for leaks

It's still the same !

We have just noticed that the dpf has been cut open and had the insides taken out.
So I looked into that a bit more and got hold of the previous owner and he told me that he had the dpf removed and it was mapped out of the ecu, don't know if it's got anything to do with the problem, but thought I would let yous know before someone suggests to have it removed !
The car is really doing my head in now, it's blowing my brains out !
Any advice would be great or to hear off someone that's had the same problem and got to the bottom of it?????
I've been thinking if it could be a problem with the ecu coz it's had the dpf mapped out of it, just wounding of the map has corrupted or something ?

How someone can help !
Oh yea, the engine code is BMN

Got a spare set of injector aswel if anyone needs a set ! Lol

Cropsta

Aug 4, 2015
Could well be the map' could also be a boost leak, yes the injectors go' who done them SEAT on recall.

No, done it myself pal, I wasn't aware that there was a recall on them tbh !
Would that recall still be valid on a 2007 car ?
I've check everything for boost leaks, had everything off it when I put the new turbo on it, couldn't find anything?.
If it was the map on the car, would it not just go straight away ? Or do you think it would come and go intermitantly and give you a bit of notice ?
It started off by coming on and off the power and when it went down on power, it would start to bellow out the black smoke, and when it did start doing it at first, I could reset the power on the car by cycling the ignition a couple of times while it was driving down the road, but now it won't reset and is constantly just down on the power and smoking like hell.. I have notice that the exhaust note sounds a little bit different than normal, it sounds like it's got a bit of a rasp to the exhaust note or it's even hollow inside or something.
That's why I took the turbo off and had a look at the side, as it just sounded like the Vains were stuck open or something.. And when I did take it off, the metal casing that the Vains sit in had broken. It's bolted to the turbo with 3 torque screws, it's got garret stamped on it with a part number, it's got like 3 castings on it that the raised bit is moulded with, well 2 of them castings had broken and the it wasn't sitting right, it was a bit raised on one side letting exhaust gases leak down the side which in theory would be the same as the Vains being open..
So bought a new turbo for it yesterday, fitted it and it's still doing the same, but I'd say the engine note I mentioned is now more louder since I fitted the turbo on it

Cropsta

Aug 4, 2015
Update on the car.....
I dug a little deeper into the car, and noticed that the dpf had a nasty weld on it that didn't look factory !
So I searched into finding the previous owner and tracked him down by linking him to a business in Scotland on Google !
When I spoke to him he told me that yes, he had had the DPF removed when he owned it, so I explained to him what was going on with the car and asked him if he had had the DPF software mapped out of the ECU when he had the DPF cut open, and he told me he was pretty sure it had been done..
So he found the blokes number who done the job and I rang him to ask him a few questions.
Yes, he had mapped the DPF out of the ECU and he had also tuned it a little to give it a bit more power and more MPG..
He said that all he had done, nothing more..
So anyway, looked into the problem further, and unplugged a load of the components on the engine while it was running. And not once did the engine management light came on...
So had to give it to someone into tuning and mapping, and the bloke that did the DPF delete had only wiped the software out of the ECU that stores the DTC codes..
So we had to get the ECU reflashed and start all over again so it would read a fault code.
In the end after it was reflashed, it was coming up with a Map sensor issue.
Look into that more, and it turned out that water had Somehow, entered the Inside of the wiring loom on the front of the engine and corroded all the Map sensor wires stopping them to get the correct signals from the map sensor to the ECU..

All sorted now !
Cost nearly £1800 in total with all the injectors and new turbo and other bits & bobs bought to rule them out :rofl:
But I can get some money back for my old injectors as their was naff all wrong with them, and the turbo aswel !
So I've got a turbo and injectors for engine code BMN. The code on the injectors end in 073T.

Thought I'd update everyone just in case someone else end up with the same problem and it ends up burning your head out !

Pleased you updated it, glad it's sorted' as said I thought it would be the map, to many con artist out there. We always do the removal of a DPF properly and especially the software, which is one of the most important things, people like this boil my piss

Cropsta

Aug 4, 2015
Pleased you updated it, glad it's sorted' as said I thought it would be the map, to many con artist out there. We always do the removal of a DPF properly and especially the software, which is one of the most important things, people like this boil my piss

I know pal, all down to an idiot who probably drives around in a van doing mileage corrections and got his hands on some cheap mapping equipment that only does half a job !
What a waste of money I've had to spend to get to the bottom of it, and after driving it for a day or two now, it's still not 100%.
It seems as though it's holding back at around 3k rpm
1st, 2nd & 3rd it feels pretty nippy, then you can feel that it's not giving the full power anything over 3k, it's like it's coming up on full boost on low revs, then dropping its boost pressure anything over 3k or something, it just feels like it's holding back :wtf:

Time to enjoy it too, yeah there to many people that can get hold of equipment cheap and just get files from a file service easily, then call themselves all sorts and then bad mouth the good people to try and get the work

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise