Blown turbo? Injectors? Head gasket??

Nov 5, 2022
Hi all.

Leon 1P PD170 - Stage 1 - Decat

This morning on my way to work in -1° I got 17 miles from home. Went to overtake a slow moving vehicle and dropped to 5th on the dual carriageway. As I did...the engine spluttered and I held the clutch in until I got to the oncoming roundabout - went over the roundabout and put my foot on the accelerator. It jurked like absolute crazy.

Parked up in a layby straight after the roundabout and my exhaust was bellowing out thick white smoke. My engine misfiring twice a second and rocking about. It stalled out. No EML. Pugged in Carista. Zilch.

Tried to start the engine, it cranked and fired up. Spluttered. Issued a gob full of the white stuff. And died.
RAC on speed dial - the chap said he reckons it could be an injector with the constant misfiring. I thought I had blown a head gasket - there's a moderate oil leak from somewhere for a few months admittedly. My mate reckons I pooped the turbo. I fired it up one last time and it did the same, but came up with the oil light - not oil pressure light, though(?). Oil is at a good level. Has previously blown out a little blue smoke under load.

Monies are super tight at the moment and I can't afford to get it towed to a garage to pay for diagnostic to pay for OEM retail prices parts and labour (if it's one of the three issues above). Me and a pal would get it fixed instead.

Does anybody have any guesses to which (if any) of the above it is more likely to be to give me an edge on the decision? I'd be looking to upgrade the parts and fit myself - rather than pay over the odds for like for like. If it's the head gasket, I'll kill it off. It's my one and only car atm, so a two mile walk to the train station will be my new daily until fixed :rocker:

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Doubt it's the head gasket as it went so quickly, could be an injector, if it's gone it's gone in a big way. Turbo is your best shout.

Take the tubo hoses off and look inside, you should be able to see the blades and check if they move. Would imagine going like that it'll be pretty obvious it's buggered.

Reactions: mty12345

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Doubt it's the head gasket as it went so quickly, could be an injector, if it's gone it's gone in a big way. Turbo is your best shout.

Take the tubo hoses off and look inside, you should be able to see the blades and check if they move. Would imagine going like that it'll be pretty obvious it's buggered.
+1 on this, sound advice!

Nov 5, 2022

Thanks, most think it the turbo from my description. I'll take a closer look on Sunday and report back!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.