Bluetooth and/or WiFi - phone hotspot or SEAT ?

nwithyman

Nov 7, 2021
Chelmsford, Essex, UK
Good evening all, apologies for this post which probably cuts across other similar threads but I'm very confused and not helped by the 390+ pages of the Owner's Manual; why oh why can't we go straight to a subject for an explanation without having to dodge through numerous superfluous notices and warnings?

Anyway, I've successfully registered my car on the SEAT/Cupra system and connected my mobile to the car by Bluetooth. All well and good but as I thought there'd be additional services available from a WiFi connection I started to set up my phone as a hot spot. The car then told me that if I did this, I'd lose the Bluetooth facilities - obviously I want to keep the phone connection so I went no further. I then discovered an invitation via the portal to buy a Cubic Telecom data pack through SEAT.

I have registered for the plan but not purchased anything. Yet.

I'm left with the questions a) what benefits accrue from a WiFi connection, b) will I be losing any facilities (eg phone) by using WiFi, c) can you have both Bluetooth and WiFi connections and d) are there any benefits in using the SEAT Cubic Telecom WiFi rather than my phone as a got spot?

If only the Owner's Manual were more helpful! Comments would be hugely appreciated.

Reactions: karmamackyiv87

Napmasterflash

Jan 21, 2021
I originally had mine set up as a hotspot to use Alexa and I never got any message about the Bluetooth and the phone still worked.

As far as I understand it, using the phone as a hotspot gives all the benefits that the incar connection has, but the info that syncs up to the app when the car is switched off would be lost after the 1st free year.

I have since moved to Android Auto for all the nav and music and that connects through wifi and Bluetooth at the same time.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: nwithyman
Jul 27, 2021
I did purchase additional data from Cubic Telecom, mainly to get Alexa to work. Whilst I could use Alexa to input locations / select music etc it simply isn't worth the money as there didn't appear to be any other benefits. I don't believe you can have both WiFi and Bluetooth so I've reverted back to Bluetooth for my connection - and to be honest it's stable and provides all you need.

Reactions: nwithyman

nwithyman

Nov 7, 2021
Chelmsford, Essex, UK
Okay, I've bitten the bullet and bought a Cubic Telecom package (one month only to see what it's all about) by accessing the site from my laptop. I'm now left with the problem of getting the car to recognise or create a link to Cubic.
Purchasing the data package involves giving your VIN number so I would have thought that SEAT's systems back at base would, behind the scenes automatically enable the plan on my car. Not so it seems!
Can anyone throw some light on this?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.