bonnet stay

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
i remember someone saying the new leon wouldn't have the gas strut to hold bonnet open as mark 1 model has. now that the new model is in production, can one of the mark 2 owners tell me the outcome i.e. does it have the gas strut or are we back to the manual bonnet stay?

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
back to manual i'm afraid :confused: why i dont know
i seem to remember someone saying it was to do with european safety laws or something i.e. where the strut would be situated could cause 'x' to happen in a crash. i'm not convinced as i'm pretty sure other new cars rolling off the production line have them, no? there again i suppose it depends where seat were going to mount their one.

you'll laugh, but that could put me off buying the car.

xJib

I think it must be down to cost cutting. But it’s not really a big deal as I think I’ve only opened the bonnet twice in 6 months once to fill the washer fluid and one to show a friend the engine.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
just buy the golf part.... it's fitted to the super copa - so it'll be fine on yours

I don't think the price difference between the Leon FR & the Golf GTI justifies bonnet lifters.

AN06DRW

Now You SEAT Now You Dont
Sep 19, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
i also havn't got an engine cover which i read on a previous thread was cost cutting pretty stoooopid cause its the small niftybits that make it better attention to detail

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
i remember someone saying the new leon wouldn't have the gas strut to hold bonnet open as mark 1 model has. now that the new model is in production, can one of the mark 2 owners tell me the outcome i.e. does it have the gas strut or are we back to the manual bonnet stay?

When I saw it on my daughters Leon I thought that looks cheap/cost cutting, especially has the stay tidy clip pulls out of the of the front x grill !!!.
Will be looking to replace with a gas strut, need to find the weight of the bonnet first tho otherwise the bonnet could hit you in the face if you fit a too powerful gas strut!!

simon34

smoooooooth
May 2, 2006
northampton
read somewhere that alot of new cars wouldnt have the gas struts on bonnets as it makes it more dificult to get through the crash testing regs

FerrariStu

Scuderia Leona
Feb 15, 2007
i seem to remember someone saying it was to do with european safety laws or something i.e. where the strut would be situated could cause 'x' to happen in a crash. i'm not convinced as i'm pretty sure other new cars rolling off the production line have them, no? there again i suppose it depends where seat were going to mount their one.

you'll laugh, but that could put me off buying the car.

What the Euro Safety Laws don't account for is when you've owned a car with a gas bonnet strut for years and then you buy a NEW car that hasn't got one, you open the bonnet for the first time - hold it up - let go and nearly KILL YOURSELF!

Thank you very much SEAT/NCAP [:@]

B*****DS!!!

r30lac

Jan 12, 2007
West Yorkshire
What the Euro Safety Laws don't account for is when you've owned a car with a gas bonnet strut for years and then you buy a NEW car that hasn't got one, you open the bonnet for the first time - hold it up - let go and nearly KILL YOURSELF!

Thank you very much SEAT/NCAP [:@]

B*****DS!!!

:lol: I did the same:lol: Went to fill the washer bottle and bang the fingers gone. along with whatever part of my 4 year old son (who was helping me) was stuck in there as well.

May be seat could explain to my son what "For F:censored: sake" means.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.