Boot Gas Struts

jacko5

Jan 10, 2017
UK
Quick vid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same spring ( 50mm ) on my Seat Leon.
I bought it for my Scirocco and never got round to fitting it.
Works great and will never break as it sprung steel.

Edit,
I only use one 50mm spring.

Last edited:

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
Quick vid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great job, but I did notice how yours goes up and comes to a sudden abrubt stop.. Mine slows down as it ends its travel... Is this due to the modded mod springs you added.? Hope it doesn't put unnecessary stress on the strut nipples.. <Yep I went there>

Ash82

Aug 19, 2018
Manchester
Looking to fit these too.. Out of stock again...
Will do this when back in stock....

Update:

I found these instead. Not as cheap but not far off. I have compared the specs to the one listed above by WhiteCupra290 and they match. Although they list the length as being 515mm.. Hope this is a typo. As the OEM P/N's and model number are the same. Also it's title says bonnet and tailgate...

38f1cbe6ea36327b5fa5c39912732805.jpg
c8f842220001139e01670baa7f1bc1a3.jpg
b4cd8970b979124f4cfb2c590e16f824.jpg

So fingers crossed they do the job...
Thanks to all for the info... Great little mod.....

Update : update : Just measured the strut on mine and fully open it is exactly 515mm in length.... Feel a bit better now..
Are these the ones you bought? Did they work ok ?

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
Thanks for all the info in this thread.

Just installed the Stabilus ones.
I installed them the same way up as the factory ones.
Can’t say I had to mess around twisting the end of them etc, makes me feel like I’ve done something wrong to the rest of people?!

AlexOS

Daft question... whats special about the stabilus struts? I’ve noticed that the ones recommended for the 5door by Amazon/eBay and comments above are the 515nm... which is the same as the standard ones.... so why do the aftermarket ones open the boot, but the standard ones don’t?

I checked the ame with the Golf I have until my Cupra is delivered and that is the same... standard ones 520nm, aftermarket stabilus etc are all 520nm.. so why do aftermarket open the boot but not the standard??

I was thinking it’s the springs that some people have added, but not everyone has done that but it still works.. also, if it was just the springs, then I’d have expected someone to say save the money on the strut and just add a spring..

There probably is a really sensible and obvious answer.. lol

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
Daft question... whats special about the stabilus struts? I’ve noticed that the ones recommended for the 5door by Amazon/eBay and comments above are the 515nm... which is the same as the standard ones.... so why do the aftermarket ones open the boot, but the standard ones don’t?

I checked the ame with the Golf I have until my Cupra is delivered and that is the same... standard ones 520nm, aftermarket stabilus etc are all 520nm.. so why do aftermarket open the boot but not the standard??

I was thinking it’s the springs that some people have added, but not everyone has done that but it still works.. also, if it was just the springs, then I’d have expected someone to say save the money on the strut and just add a spring..

There probably is a really sensible and obvious answer.. lol
I think you will find that the Stabilus ones are what they call Variable pressure,when they are compressed there is massive force, but as it gets to the end of travel the pressure drops, so as you release the boot latch the force starts the movement and then as it gets to the top it is just enough to hold up the boot lid
Thats my look on this not a precise technical answer

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members