Boot Gas Struts

Rob G

Apr 13, 2018
I've noticed now the weather is getting colder the boot sometimes fails to open (needs a little nudge on the lip).
Would fitting a spring assist with this? It's only the initial movement that sometimes sticks (I am using the recommended stabilus struts).

Smolyneux85

Jun 22, 2018
North West
Daft question... whats special about the stabilus struts? I’ve noticed that the ones recommended for the 5door by Amazon/eBay and comments above are the 515nm... which is the same as the standard ones.... so why do the aftermarket ones open the boot, but the standard ones don’t?

I checked the ame with the Golf I have until my Cupra is delivered and that is the same... standard ones 520nm, aftermarket stabilus etc are all 520nm.. so why do aftermarket open the boot but not the standard??

I was thinking it’s the springs that some people have added, but not everyone has done that but it still works.. also, if it was just the springs, then I’d have expected someone to say save the money on the strut and just add a spring..

There probably is a really sensible and obvious answer.. lol

The after market ones I’ve fitted are for the Skoda Octavia they just have more opening force than standard ones fitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
These are the ones I fitted and they are indeed rated at 515nm.

54aaa01ee325f4383e6fda80b18aec88.jpg

But as they are listed for the octavia, I can only assume its designed to open a heavier boot with the same rated pressure....
But mine opens quickly then slows down when fully extended.

AlexOS

Anyone had any luck with the ST? I bought the recommended ones... stabilus 630599. 589mm and 540n but they don’t do any better than the standard ones.

What confuses me is the stabilus ones everyone seems to have bought for the 5door are the same 515n as the standard ones and these work..

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Anyone had any luck with the ST? I bought the recommended ones... stabilus 630599. 589mm and 540n but they don’t do any better than the standard ones.

What confuses me is the stabilus ones everyone seems to have bought for the 5door are the same 515n as the standard ones and these work..
Standard struts for the 5 door Leon ( Hatch, not ST) are 410nm.

Theporter

Nov 4, 2018
Hi. They will work on the ST, but they will NOT open it by themselves.

I have tried these ones with my ST and they basically worked exactly the same as the standard ones.
Cheers pal I won’t bother with um them
So is there any that work with the st ?

Last edited:
May 18, 2019
Hi All

First day here....

Do these struts work on an Estate or just the hatchback?

I have a 2015 Leon 1.6TDI ecomotive Estate.

Many Thanks

Jason

Reactions: Alorjosh

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
I also cannot be bothered to read through the thread, so can someone come to my house, type in the correct web address into my browser and then move my hand while it's on my mouse and then press my finger down on the left button when the pointer is hovering over the link for the correct part I require?

BTW, how do I pay for stuff online? I've heard about something called PayPal. How does that work?

Reactions: Legojon and kazand

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I also cannot be bothered to read through the thread, so can someone come to my house, type in the correct web address into my browser and then move my hand while it's on my mouse and then press my finger down on the left button when the pointer is hovering over the link for the correct part I require?

BTW, how do I pay for stuff online? I've heard about something called PayPal. How does that work?
Welcome back!

Reactions: simonali