Brake lights always on with key position on and when running

Apr 11, 2024
Hello.
I have an Ibiza 6j 2008 1.4 tdi.
2 days ago I noticed all 3 brake lights came on with key positon on, even when the car is not running. Same thing when you start and run the car. Pressing the brake pedal doesn't change the brightness of the brake lights. They light up with/without the headlights turned on. There are no faults showing on the dash. I have not checked for faults with VCDS yet. Hazards, turning signals, reverse lights all work fine - checked them all.

I tried changing the brake light switch with a brand new one and nothing changed. The new switch is not from SEAT - it's a different brand, not sure if that makes any difference. With the switch completely disconnected the brake lights were still on.

One of my tail lights fills up with water and I thought maybe some bulb has gone bad but no, tried removing all the bulbs on that particular tail light one by one - the brake lights stayed on consistently. I have not tried removing the bulbs on the other tail light but I highly doubt the problem lies there.

I tried removing the fuse that is for the brake lights, turning signals and hazards, and they all stopped working, if that is of any help.

Lastly, I've been having intermittent problems with the boot not opening. The cables that go to the boot button from the roof of the car are not in a good condition. The boot had stopped opening the other day and I moved the cables a bit (that has fixed the issue before) and it started working again. Coincidentally (or not?) the brake lights issue started maybe the next day. Could these 2 issues be connected. From what I read, the third brake light and the other 2 side brake lights are on different circuits?

Any ideas what this could be?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Hum, maybe a tricky problem, I think that you need to find out where/what the faulty wiring is probably where the wiring passing out into the hatch from the body.
Also sort out the leaking tail light cluster and make sure that the plug/socket pins are still okay and the tracks on the lamp holders are clean and not burning/conducting track to track.

Wrong bulb types can also cause problems, and the latest version of the brake pedal plunger switch, if bought from SEAT, does require to be set up correctly.

I'm guessing that when you say that the brake lights stay on even when the brake switch is removed - you mean that it is still plugged into its wiring but not mounted and compressed after initial setting up on the car.

I've had to replace a switch twice on a 2002 VW Polo, so first switch was just a slightly improved version, the next new switch was the properly revamped version. There used to be a write up on the internet covering the correct procedure when replacing the earlier improved version and a different set of instructions covering the properly later revamped pedal switch.

Apr 11, 2024
Hum, maybe a tricky problem, I think that you need to find out where/what the faulty wiring is probably where the wiring passing out into the hatch from the body.
Also sort out the leaking tail light cluster and make sure that the plug/socket pins are still okay and the tracks on the lamp holders are clean and not burning/conducting track to track.

Wrong bulb types can also cause problems, and the latest version of the brake pedal plunger switch, if bought from SEAT, does require to be set up correctly.

I'm guessing that when you say that the brake lights stay on even when the brake switch is removed - you mean that it is still plugged into its wiring but not mounted and compressed after initial setting up on the car.

I've had to replace a switch twice on a 2002 VW Polo, so first switch was just a slightly improved version, the next new switch was the properly revamped version. There used to be a write up on the internet covering the correct procedure when replacing the earlier improved version and a different set of instructions covering the properly later revamped pedal switch.
Thanks for the answer. I too suspect it's a wiring problem.

The brake lights stay on even with the brake light switch unplugged, not just unmounted.

I have not changed any bulbs on the car but on the one tail light I opened I found one bulb that did not light up no matter what. It doesn't look burnt out. But it didn't light up no matter what lights I turned on.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.