Brand new engine issues (1.4eHybrid)

Jul 17, 2023
Evening everyone!

I’ve just handed back my Formentor and today taken delivery of a Cupra Leon 1.4 eHybrid 245 VZ2.

Love the look of the car, but only done 16 miles across 2 small journeys. The engine got so hot I could smell it, then I could physically see the heat coming off.

No warnings, obviously keeping to lower speeds/revs until the engine is properly bedded in.

Anyone had this issue? Also, I’m getting a slight judder at very low speeds… very strange.

Would love to know if this is a common thing, or normal?

SamuelDonuts

Jan 6, 2017
Midlands
In terms of the heat smell that is going to be pretty normal. You've got a lot of brand new parts with internal oils and sealants etc that are just burning off through normal operation of the "hot" areas.

On my first drive it was a 100 mile trip home and still then it smelt rather warm from behind, but it wears off.

Jul 17, 2023
In terms of the heat smell that is going to be pretty normal. You've got a lot of brand new parts with internal oils and sealants etc that are just burning off through normal operation of the "hot" areas.

On my first drive it was a 100 mile trip home and still then it smelt rather warm from behind, but it wears off.
Thank you for the reassurance haha. I’ve got a 350 mile round trip next week so I didn’t fancy doing that if the engine was going to explode or something

Fergoo

Jun 8, 2020
Evening everyone!

I’ve just handed back my Formentor and today taken delivery of a Cupra Leon 1.4 eHybrid 245 VZ2.

Love the look of the car, but only done 16 miles across 2 small journeys. The engine got so hot I could smell it, then I could physically see the heat coming off.

No warnings, obviously keeping to lower speeds/revs until the engine is properly bedded in.

Anyone had this issue? Also, I’m getting a slight judder at very low speeds… very strange.

Would love to know if this is a common thing, or normal?
Mines now on 500 miles but nearly all of that has been on electric. Took it to the dealer for a software update last week which is 30 miles each way, and used the engine properly for the first time. It too smelt quite strongly when I parked up, but didn't worry about it, as SamuelDonuts said, I just assumed it's pretty normal for a new engine.

Not noticed a judder, though it is noticeably smoother on electric than the ICE, but that is to be expected with the different torque curve. Even on ICE I would say mines smoother (albeit much slower) than my previous MK3 290.

Maybe run it in for a few hundred miles and see how it is?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise