Built in Sat Nav or Third Party

Dominus

Apr 9, 2023
Curious, I never use built in sat navs and that is the same with my Formentor, it's either Waze or Google. Does anyone use the built in sat nav, if so what am I missing out on?

LetsForment

Nov 28, 2022
South East England
I always check with the internal route posted by the infotainment system, but generally use Waze. I would say about 15% of the time I get a better route via the built in system.

Reactions: Dominus

Villabrand

Apr 2, 2023
I always use the built in system, seems to give pretty good routes and pops up if a quicker route is available while on the journey. Also use Cupra Connect app to send destinations to the car before I leave and that has been pretty reliable, saves searching when getting in the car.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: PhilG and Fencer60

xobb1t

Nov 12, 2023
Vilnius
I generally use Waze too, but I think the built-in handles junctions / roundabouts better with the ‘zoom-in’ image. I’d sometimes like to run the two simultaneously, but setting a route in the second cancels the routing on the first.

What about speed cameras ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad
Reactions: Dominus and PhilG

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
What about speed cameras ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't got a Formentor. But Apple Maps generally works well in my experience. And warns of speed cameras.
Also, advises if an alternative route is faster. It can however make mistakes occasionally - once tried to send me in circles.Switched to Google Maps on that occasion. But generally always us Apple Maps via CarPlay.

Reactions: Fencer60

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
Funnily enough I was thinking of posting something similar!
Don't use the nav too much but have wondered before about the built in systems traffic re-routing.
My interest was peaked last week when I had an early Monday morning trip from Gravesend to Gatwick Airport. I was using the Cupra nav and it took me far away from the M25 due to traffic. It took me down the A25, even routing me off that road and through side roads. Time was starting to get away from me so I swung back round to the nearby M25 entry slip. There was a bit of traffic stop/starting but it kept moving once near Clacketts and Gatwick was reached without any more hold ups.
On the return (Thursday rush hour) the first thing the Cupra nav said was that there was a better route available faster than M25 due to traffic. I wasn't taking A and B roads all the home so fired up Waze (which I use on a daily basis in my van). Waze said M25 was still best route despite traffic delays and would take 58 minutes instead of 45-50 minutes normal run time. Indeed that is exactly how long it took.
So in future its Waze all the way for me from now on.

I will say that my 17 plate Range Rover I owned previously had by far the best Sat nav I have ever used so not all built in nav are the same!

Reactions: Dominus

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
Use Google Maps via my phone onto central display. Don't use the in-built sat-nav in my 2018 Leon FR as it is now 5 years out of date & I'm not going to pay Seat for an update. Google Maps is free & always up to date.

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
Google Maps is free & always up to date.
Theres a reason its "free". We are all going to pay for it one day 🤔
Waze is owned by Google so why do they operate two "free" navigation apps when the traditional mapping companies charge a hefty premium?

Reactions: LetsForment

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Theres a reason its "free". We are all going to pay for it one day 🤔
Waze is owned by Google so why do they operate two "free" navigation apps when the traditional mapping companies charge a hefty premium?
The people already paying for Waze are the businesses who use it (the app Uber drivers use looks a lot like Waze/Google), we're the free part of it generating the data for Waze as without us all driving around and reporting issues they'd have nothing to sell.

Reactions: Andy.M

Dominus

Apr 9, 2023
Thanks for all the replies. I use Waze for new routes and motorways, I want to know about speed cameras and police is a bonus (though on the Motorway these are traffic wardens a lot of the time). My preferred sat nav is Google Maps in Satellite mode, easier to see your exits etc when it's real.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise