Bulb warning & fast flashing indicator on dash - dealer unable to diagnose?

jameshopkins

Apr 21, 2016
Hi,

I have a 2014 Seat Ibiza FR 1.2, recently the car has developed an intermittent issue, when indicating right a static orange bulb warning light comes on the dash and the right indicator on the dash flashes twice as fast. The indicators outside flash as normal, and all work OK, no bulbs are not working.

To me it's pretty clear that an indicator bulb might be about to go, however it doesn't state which one. I took it to the garage to have a service and asked them to look at this, as they could not re-produce the issue they said there wasn't anything they could do.

Does anyone know how to find out which one it could be?

And also shouldn't the dealer be able to diagnose this kind of thing pretty easily? Should it not show up in the diagnostics?

Thanks in advance

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
As above, also, I've found that newer VAG cars - well small VW and SEAT ones, have very firm/hard bulb contacts, in my eyes this does lead to the solder contact on the bulbs getting compressed and so causing the odd high resistance - this tends to happen to the rear light clusters mainly.

Another issue that I had with my wife's previous car, a 2003MY Polo, was that the front RHS indicator sometimes failed to flash or flashed quickly - after faffing about including swopping bulbs across the car and buying new bulbs and adding more solder to the bulbs centre contacts, I gave in and moved the wiring forward to where the bulb was located - originally the front indicator bulbs were located into the cluster and retained in there with a suitable adaptor with contacts, then the power "plug" was connected to that - I guessed that there must have been a drawing/manufacturing issue with one side that ended up making the RHS assembly lose contact slightly - after moving the power forward on the RHS this problem disappeared for the next 5 years that she had that car.

Edit:- these are just suggestions to avoid you getting tunnel vision over this problem. On the matter of faults being logged, I can't say for sure but I'd doubt if scanning that car would show anything, the bulb monitor is doing its job so that is all I'd expect is monitoring this fault.

Another Edit:- when I had that issue with wife's old Polo, I eventually discovered that if I thumped the RHS lighting cluster the fault would either appear again or go away.

Does this issue happen all the time with your car or just now and again?

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members