buying a used mk2 cupra r

Jan 18, 2022
hello, im looking to buy a used mk2 leon cupra r, there is one selling for 7,800€ but it has 190,000km on it,
if the car was properly and consistently maintained i wouldnt mind buying it with such mileage. but was still curious if there are any specific faults i should be cautious about at this type of kilometers done. Didnt go and check it out yet thought it be smarter to ask the experts first so i dont miss something out when checking it out, also what kind of mileage are you getting? Thanks in advance, good day.

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Hi mate I’ve had a high mileage mk2.
I probably wouldn’t own another one saying that. Unless it had already had the cam belt and timing chain done.
things you’d expect to change on a mk2
Cam follower
Pcv
Discs and pads all round if needed
Service if needed
Spark plugs
Tyres if needed
Possible front top mount if it knocks over bumps
Rocker cover gasket if needed

Jan 18, 2022
Hi mate I’ve had a high mileage mk2.
I probably wouldn’t own another one saying that. Unless it had already had the cam belt and timing chain done.
things you’d expect to change on a mk2
Cam follower
Pcv
Discs and pads all round if needed
Service if needed
Spark plugs
Tyres if needed
Possible front top mount if it knocks over bumps
Rocker cover gasket if needed
thanks alot, can atleast somewhat calculate the additional cost, also forgot to mention its a tsi engine not tfsi if theres any difference maintenance wise,also there is another one available it has 150.000km but its 5k expensiver, so i thought the high mileage one would be a bargain. will probably check both of them out and talk to the owners before making a call. Thank you again good sir

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
thanks alot, can atleast somewhat calculate the additional cost, also forgot to mention its a tsi engine not tfsi if theres any difference maintenance wise,also there is another one available it has 150.000km but its 5k expensiver, so i thought the high mileage one would be a bargain. will probably check both of them out and talk to the owners before making a call. Thank you again good sir
I’m not really sure as I’ve never had a tsi engine but from what I can remember they are less hassle due to some revisions on the cam follower and afew other differences.
the only thing I Learned was buying a high mileage cheaper car I ended up spending more money making the car mechanically good then what it would of cost buying a lower mileage decent one. However even a lower millage car probably would of needed the same maintenance. These cars are old now and you have to expect a mk2 to need all the basics.

Reactions: nejccajnkar
Jan 18, 2022
I’m not really sure as I’ve never had a tsi engine but from what I can remember they are less hassle due to some revisions on the cam follower and afew other differences.
the only thing I Learned was buying a high mileage cheaper car I ended up spending more money making the car mechanically good then what it would of cost buying a lower mileage decent one. However even a lower millage car probably would of needed the same maintenance. These cars are old now and you have to expect a mk2 to need all the basics.
well said, its a gamble anyways with buying older used cars, a low mileage could easily be worse than a high mileage one, yep read the tsi are less problematic, anywas id make a complete service just to be sure. is it overall expensive to own one? i mean i know having a car in general is a hit on your pocket i just dont want it to completely drain my bank account. overall how was your experience with the car?

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
well said, its a gamble anyways with buying older used cars, a low mileage could easily be worse than a high mileage one, yep read the tsi are less problematic, anywas id make a complete service just to be sure. is it overall expensive to own one? i mean i know having a car in general is a hit on your pocket i just dont want it to completely drain my bank account. overall how was your experience with the car?
My love for the car and enjoyment I get from driving it makes me forgive the expense. It’s very easy to get carried away with cars money wise. I definitely recommend you buying a mk2 if poss as it’s a very good but basic car I’d say if you enjoy driving you’ll love it if your expectations are refinement and comfort you need a newer car. I use mine on the road and tracks my main purpose for having this car is to drive on track only so most parts for track use can be expensive.
tyres are between £60 upto £200 per corner. General maintenance parts aren’t that expensive it’s when things break they can be very expensive buying new parts but that’s just all cars in general.

Jan 18, 2022
My love for the car and enjoyment I get from driving it makes me forgive the expense. It’s very easy to get carried away with cars money wise. I definitely recommend you buying a mk2 if poss as it’s a very good but basic car I’d say if you enjoy driving you’ll love it if your expectations are refinement and comfort you need a newer car. I use mine on the road and tracks my main purpose for having this car is to drive on track only so most parts for track use can be expensive.
tyres are between £60 upto £200 per corner. General maintenance parts aren’t that expensive it’s when things break they can be very expensive buying new parts but that’s just all cars in general.
id still use it as a daily to get to work, but im not really a fan of buying a comfortable diesel with jack **** of tourqe and hp, so i knew id need a older car if id want to get a decent bhp from it for a decent price, i dont really care about luxury i just want a good driving experience with a car and occasional tearing through corners^^. does it preform well on the track? heard that understeer isnt that bad on this car but can be sometimes deciving how fast you really are approaching a corner

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Yea it’s good on track I have front and rear whiteline anti roll bars and a lsd with semi slicks and poly bushes etc I have never had understeer on the road or track. Yes you definitely have to watch your speed as the car doesn’t feel like it’s going as fast as it does even know the road.

Last edited:

indyr

May 2, 2011
@300bhpdaily - not wanting to hijack the thread but what whiteline anti roll bar kit did you purchase, I can't seem to find it?
Does it change the ride, is it a lot more stiffer or more compliant with the addition?

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
I brought it direct from whiteline on offer. It make the car feel direct when you turn and keeps the car stable round the bends and flatter especially on track. On the road I felt the difference straight away a lot less body roll and able to take turns so much fast and flatter.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise