Buying leased car

venomizer

Apr 3, 2019
Hi,

My Cupra 290 is going back to the lease company (ALD) in two weeks.

I've already asked them about the option to buy the car off them at the end of the lease and they flat out refused, citing issues with VAT payments that mean that could never sell a PCH car back to the lessee (not sure how true this is as I hear about lenders offering lease cars for sale to the borrower all the time)

I'm in the market for a 2nd hand Cupra anyway, and would love to keep hold of what I have since I know all its history.

Presumably the car is likely to get sold on at auction or back to a dealer (only 12k miles). Is there any way I can find out where it's being sold so I can try and buy it 'legitimately'?

Thanks

May 2, 2021
It’ll probably end up at BCA somewhere.
I had my 290 in lease with VWFS and they offered it to me at a very good price at the end of the term. In hindsight I wish I’d kept it as it was the November before Covid and my next car sat there for best part of a year hardly used.
I know the chap that purchased it paid 2k more than I was offered it for as he rang me to check the history and mileage. It had been sitting around for 6 months as well. It ended up at a dealer via Blackbushe BCA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Whiplash

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
When I had my Seat, few months before it was due back, I was sent a letter asking if I knew any family or friends willing to buy the car after and they would have first preference or something to that extend. When I returned my Volvo V40 (27 months, 9k miles only), there was no option leter it ended up at the dealer (and not at auction) around a month after they collected it, and 2 weeks later, someone bought it! It was advertised at 14.9k. I can only speculate that 24/36 months leases end up back at dealer, maybe the 48month ones end up auction.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
Probably due to the used car market sky rocketing - my old Golf GTD is currently 4k more than when I sold it 3 years ago according to WeBuy type people.

Have you called the finance house instead, or are ALD your funder? Leasing Options said wasn't really an option, LeasePlan said it was (funder).

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Sounds crap. I know people who have bought their lease cars. They could sell you the car, they just can't be bothered.

gRoberts

May 11, 2021
BCA sent me a letter about 6 weeks before my PCH was up with VWFS offering me the option to buy.

Possibly it's because it's not VWFS leasing in this case but ALD?

QTom

Sep 22, 2017
When I started the lease on my previous car I believe I was told something along the lines of I cant buy it but a family member or friend could, however when the lease actually ended I'm pretty sure I was given the option to buy it so I don't really know what's going on. Maybe some strange regulations somewhere.

daniel_ley

Mar 3, 2018
Dudley
My 2017 Leon went back to Seat in June last year and as it was a PCH I had no option to keep the car at the end of the lease. My partner really wanted it, so he spent the next two months actively searching for it for sale on Autotrader and one day had his luck and found it one day in August! Bought it and it was back our driveway a week later :ROFLMAO:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members