Cam Belt Service interval

vapour-trails

Oct 3, 2020
Hi All

need abit of advice here on the cambelt service my cars just turned 5 years old and it only has 9k on the clock, at its last service only thing recommended was Cambelt service which i was expecting having had VAG's for years always changed them every 5 years or so as my mileage is low.

reason for the post is i called the Dealers to book it in and got a call few days later to cancel it saying that i dont need one till 140,000 miles or 10 years and Seat have recently changed there servicing advice on cambelt changes. this is the first ive heard of it and just seeing anyone else has had this issue because apart from a 2 minute phone call im unsure what to do at this point and may just get it done anyways for peace of mind.

Reactions: TheSwede

sandancer

May 20, 2014
It's the same with Skoda and VW - I was told this when I bought a Skoda Fabia in July and asked if the timing belt had been changed. The salesman rang the service manager who said the time policy had been changed and the belt only needed to be inspected regularly until 150k miles or ten years. I've posted a couple of links for you to have a look at.

Plenty more on the Briskoda forum

Reactions: Mr Pig and Walone
Oct 25, 2023
they've told me similar for my 19 plate Ateca. Its now just 80K miles (they've done away with the years). Same for the DSG oil service which I thought I was due.

Apr 21, 2024
Hi all,
I'm debating this on my mk3 leon 1.4tsi. I've seen various things on this. One I've seen says it's a belt for life.
My independent garage looked up what Thatcham say. That says 140k or 60 months. Not many cars are gonna do 140k in 5 years. I saw somewhere that the UK dealer network put the time limit on. I'm guessing that was to keep the workshop busy.
Does anyone know of these actually failing?
Cheers
Dave

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
Hi all,
I'm debating this on my mk3 leon 1.4tsi. I've seen various things on this. One I've seen says it's a belt for life.
My independent garage looked up what Thatcham say. That says 140k or 60 months. Not many cars are gonna do 140k in 5 years. I saw somewhere that the UK dealer network put the time limit on. I'm guessing that was to keep the workshop busy.
Does anyone know of these actually failing?
Cheers
Dave
With the best will in the world, a rubber belt always has the potential to fail, as does the tensioner and water pump too. I would never risk it, having had two belts go on other makes of vehicle in the past, both well within the manufacturers recommendations.

I know you have a 1.4TSI petrol, but consider this - just a couple of weeks ago, I had the belt and water pump changed on my 19 plate Leon 2.0 TDI diesel. The belt was fine ( well, it LOOKED fine), but the water pump was faulty. The pump has an electrically operated sliding thermostat sleeve, which opens and closes to help the engine warm up more efficiently, and that was partially jammed - this could have resulted in the car overheating if it had been left undetected. The cambelt was changed as it got to 5 years old, but at only 29,000 miles.

It's your call, but personally for the price of the belt and pump, I really don't think it's worth playing cambelt roulette. I would always get it done, if only for peace of mind

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Pig
Apr 21, 2024
Cheers for that.
Allegedly the water pump on the petrol isn't driven by the cam belt on the petrol - I'm sure I've seen that on here 🤞
The tensioner does concern me tho - good point.
Mines at 8 years old with 44k on it.

Reactions: Walone

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Cheers for that.
Allegedly the water pump on the petrol isn't driven by the cam belt on the petrol - I'm sure I've seen that on here 🤞
Yes, the water pump on the 1.4/1.5 engine is driven by a small belt at the gearbox end of the engine.
I note that the cost of changing the belt on the ACT engine has gone up considerably at Seat dealerships.

Reactions: davec99

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
Cheers for that.
OK, I'll go with that - but it's worrying that a component on my diesel was failing at the 5 year mark, within the manufacturer's recommended time......and if I hadn't had the belt done at the time, and had left it until mileage requirements, that pump would have failed totally without ever being detectable with potentially catastrophic overheating issues. My next belt and pump are getting done in FOUR years time, at which it have done around 15,000 miles from now.

I fell very, very lucky with what the cambelt and water pump job cost me - I bought a GENUINE VW cambelt kit, and a GENUINE VW water pump off eBay for less than £200, and my mate, who is a trained VW tech, fitted it in less than 3 hours for £100 cash. By the time I'd bought new G13 antifreeze, the whole job cost me £320 all in........a massive saving on what a main dealer would have charged

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024
OK, I'll go with that - but it's worrying that a component on my diesel was failing at the 5 year mark, within the manufacturer's recommended time......and if I hadn't had the belt done at the time, and had left it until mileage requirements, that pump would have failed totally without ever being detectable with potentially catastrophic overheating issues. My next belt and pump are getting done in FOUR years time, at which it have done around 15,000 miles from now
Thanks for your help so far. I had a passat 1.9tdi for a while (a long while) and I took it from 66k to 167k (with 2 belt changes🙂). Properly good car with no real issues. It definitely liked to be used. The diesels can do intergalactic miles. Is yours suffering from a bit of under use 🤔 just a thought

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
Thanks for your help so far. I had a passat 1.9tdi for a while (a long while) and I took it from 66k to 167k (with 2 belt changes🙂). Properly good car with no real issues. It definitely liked to be used. The diesels can do intergalactic miles. Is yours suffering from a bit of under use 🤔 just a thought
It does low mileage, yes, same as my 1.6TDI that I had for the previous 5 years, and my 2 Octavia diesels before that. Never once had an issue with any of them. Most of the low mileage is because it is parked up for days at a time (I'm an HGV driver), not because it is used for short runs. (The mileage I do goes on the truck lol - this last week that topped 400000km, and its only just 2 years old) I use an app on the phone called VAG DPF which monitors when the DPF decides to regen, and it gets a good run when this happens to ensure it is getting done properly. I did have a petrol 1.4TSI Octavia before my 1.6 diesel Leon, and hated it with a passion, cost me an absolute fortune to run compared to the diesel Octavia it replaced.
My wife has a 1.2TSI manual Toledo, and again costs significantly more to run per mile than my diesel DSG Leon

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.