Cambelt and water pump advice

Superbund

Feb 15, 2017
Morning,

I have a 1.2 tsi leon. It's 5 year old in may with 25k on the clock . I notice seat recommend having the water pump and cambelt at 5 year old or 60k mile whichever comes first but do i need to get this done with such low mileage on the car ? Car has full dealer service history

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
They usually recommend the 5 year requirement due to the belt degrading over time, regardless of miles so I'd say it is still worth getting it done even with the low mileage. My car is due next year and will only be around 30k by then but I'll still be changing it.

Reactions: Jay5959

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Two issues surrounding this preventative maintenance action:-
1) this action is being described in a generic way, on these 1.2TSI engines and some others of a similar design, the water pump is located at the other end of the engine and so is not involved with the cam belt at all - that inclusion when replacing a cam belt was probably correct for every other cam belt change as very little extra labour is involved if it is replaced while the cam belt is being replaced and it was one of the wear and tear items in the cam belt drive train ie carrying the load of the cam belt drive, the water pump failure would lead to serious engine damage as it would cause a failure of the cam belt.
2) it seems according to VW Group, that this newer and much more expensive design of cam belt should last for a lot longer than the previous generations of cam belts, and, I'd hope all its supporting items in the cam belt drive train. The official service notes to workshops on this cam belt is "examine along its entire length at the (maybe) 6 years point and replace is showing any damage/break-up - repeat this examination every year after this". VW, Audi, SEAT and Skoda UK importers, who are normally VW Group AG owned, allow their franchised dealerships to leave that cam belt issue as it was for previous generations of cam belts, and possibly the only reason for that is that it allows these franchises to generate more work.

Now that is how things are, what you decide to do with your money and car is up to each individual, I have always in the past replaced the cam belt on 1.4 16V BBY and BXW engines at the 4 year point on earlier engines and the 5 year point on later engines as recommended by VW Group, but on these "belt for life" or "long service belt" engines, I'm taking a slightly different approach and plan on getting the cam belt replaced at the 7 > 8 year point in this car's life which will equate to roughly 50 miles.

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I had the cam belt and water pump replaced on my Leon 184 TDI in November. It was 5 years old but only on 50k miles. I begrudgingly got it done, but had I known it was this frequent, I may have not bought a VAG car. I work in the aviation industry, reinforced vulcanised rubber belts (like a cam belt) are used on lots of power transmission systems, and these are usually inspected and replaced on condition and last far longer than 5 years.
I have had a few Fords previous to this, which have a 10 year / 125k mile cam belt change interval. This just seems like another way VAG can get more money out of you.

Superbund

Feb 15, 2017
I had the cam belt and water pump replaced on my Leon 184 TDI in November. It was 5 years old but only on 50k miles. I begrudgingly got it done, but had I known it was this frequent, I may have not bought a VAG car. I work in the aviation industry, reinforced vulcanised rubber belts (like a cam belt) are used on lots of power transmission systems, and these are usually inspected and replaced on condition and last far longer than 5 years.
I have had a few Fords previous to this, which have a 10 year / 125k mile cam belt change interval. This just seems like another way VAG can get more money out of you.
Think I'll leave mine until next year. Paying for service, mot and front disc brakes and pads at a cost of over £400 in may adding the cambelt on top will ve best part of a grand !

arossi101

Cupra 290 ST
Sep 5, 2016
Glasgow
When it comes to T Belts you should always follow the recommended intervals, even the belt for life belts are now being changed according to VW recommendations, this was changed when i worked there.
If you wait till you think it should be done and it snaps, you wont have any claim for an engine, youll struggle trying to get goodwill.
Its a few hundred to get it done against anything up to 10000 for an engine.
It doesnt have to be done by SEAT, as long as you have the invoice and it was even done at an independent for half the price you can get some sort of warranty.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
It doesn't have to be done by SEAT, as long as you have the invoice and it was even done at an independent for half the price you can get some sort of warranty.

Seat give you a five year warranty, they'll have all the right kit to do the job and it won't cost that much more than an independent. It's one instance where I would be inclined to get a dealer to do it.

arossi101

Cupra 290 ST
Sep 5, 2016
Glasgow
You need special tools on most engines, on the new VW petrols you need to use ODIS to set it up and does take a while doing that but most of them you can get away with the kit you can get from a tool van or even ebay.
They do the exact same job as the manufacturer one.