can cable

si2252

by my understanding when using vag.com on a late seat then a can cable is required.

where can these cables be sourced. all the cables on ebay are of the older type.

does anyone know where to get a 'can' cable from

cheers

Theresias

The cable as you refer top it isn't just a cable. It has a micro controller that runs a propriatary firmware, which means the "cable" has its own software in it as well. Thats one of the reasons why they are not sold separately.

si2252

looking at other posts, others are using vag.com and they have got there cable and software from somewhere else.

i think $299 is a bit steep to be able to run diagnostics on a laptop.

there must be cheaper option for the same result.

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
Near Philadelphia, PA, USA
The other posts of which you speak are for cars that do not require the CAN interface. VCDS that supports CAN requires a dongle interface which can only be obtained from Ross-Tech or one of our distributors. VCDS is the equivalent of the factory tool which sells for 20x the price of anything Ross-Tech offers. If you want an OBD-II code reader, may I suggest you search for a CAN based OBD-II code reader rather than a VW factory tool.

si2252

so if i dont go through 'ross-tech' then my only other option is a portable code reader. is that correct

si2252

they say that there cables work with can-bus, they list all makes of car but dont mention ibiza, but it will be the same as the golf wont it

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
Yes, that is what we have been trying to tell you from first post. The shareware versions of VAG-COM - notice I didn't say VCDS - are 5 years old and do not support cars with CAN based diagnostics. I don't know how to be more clear for you. For your car, your only VCDS choice is to buy a genuine Ross-Tech interface as it is the only interface that will work with the generation of software you need for your car.

Other alternatives outside of VCDS exist. You could look into those to see if they meet your needs.

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
On the site you mentioned, either the V-Checker or the VAG405 would give you the engine/tranny/emiisions related codes for you car. They are not full VAG tools. They support OBD-II which is required for emissions related codes. The VAG-Commander does not do the fault codes - check the details and find out if these do what you want them to do. VCDS will give you full access to all modules in your car and allow you to trouble shoot all problems.

Last edited:

si2252

therefore this cable and ross tech freeware software would work.

http://ucables.com/ref/CANBUS-USB6

would i then have the option to upgrade the freeware software while using this cable not from yourselves. i understand that the cables supplied from ross tech allow activation of the full version of the software.

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
Here is what I suggest: Since you think this is a quality product, buy it. When you have problems, make sure you call the vendor for your support. These are not legitimate products. The interface contains Intellectual Property that is copyright protected by Ross-Tech. The vendor does not have permission to copy, sell, market, etc.

We do not license these units. As I have said several times now, the only legitimate CAN based VCDS (VAG-COM) interfaces must come from Ross-Tech or one of our distributors.

I am now finished discussing this with you. All I can say is - "Buyer beware". You will get what you pay for.

si2252

no need to spit your dummy out.
the post was directed to everyone not to yourself, if you felt offended then you should not have got involved. all i am doing is looking at every possibility before spending my hard earned money money.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
In short - pay for crap and you'll get crap.

Ibiza 2002-2007 runs K-line
Ibiza 2007+ runs CAN-BUS
Leon 1999-2005 runs K-line
Leon 2005+ runs CAN-BUS

As far as i'm aware all golf mk5s run CAN-BUS but they are not the VW equivelent of an Ibiza or Leon of the same year. Only if a golf is the same manufacterers year as a leon mk2 (which they will then both have CAN-BUS) can they be cross referenced.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.