Can the engine be quietned

Cupat

Sep 21, 2016
A 1.9 tdi lump it's quite noisy compared to more or less the 1.9 lump on a mk4 Golf from 10 before.
After talking to the mech I've used for the past 10 years he said that yes is basically the same engine but in the Leon it's a thinner block thinner plastic on the rocker ect and all that resonates noise that I hear compared to the older engine.

Now while I see what he's saying is there anything that be done to quieten it. I know maybe thicker oil but thats not always best or maybe I just need to live with it.

It's clattery by design ie cutting costs thinning stuff done.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I think the engine will be exactly the same. Makes no sense to make a different engine for a different marque.

you can get foam that goes under the engine cover that dampens the noise. Or alternatively get some sound mat installed below the bonnet / inner wings. Plus make sure you have the lower engine cover intact.

Cupat

Sep 21, 2016
I think the engine will be exactly the same. Makes no sense to make a different engine for a different marque.

you can get foam that goes under the engine cover that dampens the noise. Or alternatively get some sound mat installed below the bonnet / inner wings. Plus make sure you have the lower engine cover intact.

No it's not exactly the same, the Leon it's a 16v the golf is 8 fuel pumps are different as are a few other things. Plus as the mech I use said (and makes sense) one isn't 30 a yr for tax and the other 165 for nothing.
I can see the rockers alone are a bit different and thinner and different fuel pumps as I said above.
Yes I could probably put sound deadening under the bonnet but even that is thinner on the Leon. I guess it's everything.
Like I said though, all I wanted was if it's possible to quieten the engine to less clattery.

Last edited:

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
What sort of condition are your engine mounts in? They can make a big difference to noise transmission into the cabin.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
No it's not exactly the same, the Leon it's a 16v the golf is 8 fuel pumps are different as are a few other things. Plus as the mech I use said (and makes sense) one isn't 30 a yr for tax and the other 165 for nothing.
I can see the rockers alone are a bit different and thinner and different fuel pumps as I said above.
Yes I could probably put sound deadening under the bonnet but even that is thinner on the Leon. I guess it's everything.
Like I said though, all I wanted was if it's possible to quieten the engine to less clattery.
My bad didn’t read original post correctly

Is the flywheel rattling maybe thats your noise

Is the 16v engine you have a common rail engine? That should be quieter than on old 8v pumpe deuce engine.

Cupat

Sep 21, 2016
My bad didn’t read original post correctly

Is the flywheel rattling maybe thats your noise

Is the 16v engine you have a common rail engine? That should be quieter than on old 8v pumpe deuce engine.

I know what a buggered flywheel ect sounds and feels like.
Probably is the cr lump and yes it should be quieter but it's not. So I've got one with 135000 like a bag a fkn spanners and one with 245000 that's quiet as anything.

You tell me what's the best made out them!. I'm still sure something's wrong somewhere but don't know what.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I know what a buggered flywheel ect sounds and feels like.
Probably is the cr lump and yes it should be quieter but it's not. So I've got one with 135000 like a bag a fkn spanners and one with 245000 that's quiet as anything.

You tell me what's the best made out them!. I'm still sure something's wrong somewhere but don't know what.
Could be internal of the engine. Camshaft lobe wear or something else.

try some fresh oil in it see if it quietens down any.

the older 8v engines were bombproof the 16v nowhere near

Cupat

Sep 21, 2016
Could be internal of the engine. Camshaft lobe wear or something else.

try some fresh oil in it see if it quietens down any.

the older 8v engines were bombproof the 16v nowhere near

That's what I meant to say above and forgot ie cam lobe ect wear. It's had 2 oil changes in the last 1000 miles using good fully and still the same.

You're bang on regards the 16 and 8s, it's weird why older engines (not all the time I know) are better made more reliable, stronger ect. I guess as the mech said everything now and for the last good few years is built to a cost not quality.

I do like the Leon and the way it drives it's great but the engine clatter really does my tats in. Sounds daft but if the golf lump and gearbox went in easy and worked I'd change but it won't.

But if it IS the lobes that are buggered it doesn't say much at all about a 10 yr old diesel engine. Unless prevous owners have ran it with crap oil and maybe to low.
I wonder if it would be worth changing them.

Last edited:

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
That's what I meant to say above and forgot ie cam lobe ect wear. It's had 2 oil changes in the last 1000 miles using good fully and still the same.

You're bang on regards the 16 and 8s, it's weird why older engines (not all the time I know) are better made more reliable, stronger ect. I guess as the mech said everything now and for the last good few years is built to a cost not quality.
Everything is built with an expiry date in mind. It makes no sense to make something that lasts forever. If you did that then you would soon run out of customers.

the same applies to everything in life. Even some of the materials i use at work. There is a saying “old tackle is the best tackle”

Cupat

Sep 21, 2016
Everything is built with an expiry date in mind. It makes no sense to make something that lasts forever. If you did that then you would soon run out of customers.

Oh I know, but christ some things are utter bollox now, some stuff is better than the old but not a lot as you'll know too.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Oh I know, but christ some things are utter bollox now, some stuff is better than the old but not a lot as you'll know too.
I have a mk3 Leon it is by far the worst car i have owned for things falling off and breaking. Got it new as well :blink:

so far

wheel bolt caps fall off
Bit of plastic on latch for bonnet flys off everytime you open the bonnet
Instrument cluster cracked in the sun
Heater dials cracked in the sun
Rear light covers in the boot fall off
Arch liner fell off

SEAT not interested in any of the above

Cupat

Sep 21, 2016
I have a mk3 Leon it is by far the worst car i have owned for things falling off and breaking. Got it new as well :blink:

so far

wheel bolt caps fall off
Bit of plastic on latch for bonnet flys off everytime you open the bonnet
Instrument cluster cracked in the sun
Heater dials cracked in the sun
Rear light covers in the boot fall off
Arch liner fell off

SEAT not interested in any of the above

Christ I thought I was bad, I know that general material in the Leon (mk2 mine) is cheaper thinner plastic than the golf mk4 but that's 10 years of "progress" for you.
That's bad in yours though and dare I say I doubt you'll buy another.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members