Can't get Main Menu

clutha

My '08 Altea XL will not let me get into the Main Menu on the instrument panel to alter settings.

I'm pressing 'b' on the wiper stalk rocker switch for the advised 2 seconds with ignition on and the main menu will not appear.
Tried with engine running and off but with ignition on.
I'm trying to get into the convenience menu to try some different settings.

Any help would be appreciated:confused:

clutha

I have the multi function one, not sure about the dot matrix.
Display is red characters on black back ground.

clutha

Half height.
InstrumentpaneAltea.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
Hi,

a) there is no way to set any convenience options with the "small multifunction display (MFD)".
This will only work with the large (rectangular) dot-matrix display.

b) you won't find a "Main Menu" on the small MFD either.
There are just 2 memory levels: one for the everyday measures [1] and another, that cumulates [2], starting with the reset of this storage (press 5 sec.) and/or automatically resetting when reaching 99 hours 59 minutes or 9999 miles/kilometers.

To swap between memories, you need to select one of the menues with a [1] in front of the displayed figures.

Display options of "small multifunctional display":
1. daily miles/kilometers*
2. avarage speed of daily miles*
3. journey duration*
4. current fuel consumption
5. avarage fuel consumption*
6. distance to empty
7. temperature
8. clock
9. set speed indicator

* only these marked options will let you swap to the second storage/memory [2] with the cumulation figures ... and vice versa ... holding the button underneath the wiper stalk for approx. 2 secs.

... see page 61 ff of the same manual ;)

greets ... Klaus

Last edited:
Reactions: Danncus

clutha

Klaus,
greetings!
What I'm trying to do is what is on page 65.
I want to get into the Main Menu and access the configuration settings, so
that I can alter the door mirror operation to the individual setting so that both mirrors
do not move when right mirror is moved.

Gordon

PS
Re-reading your message you seem to be saying that my type of display does not allow configuration changes.

Last edited by a moderator:

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
What I'm trying to do is what is on page 65.
I want to get into the Main Menu and access the configuration settings, so
that I can alter the door mirror operation to the individual setting so that both mirrors
do not move when right mirror is moved.
No way to do this via the small MFD (figure 40 on page 61*) ...

see figure 46 (on page 67*) to find a sketch of a large MFD.

(* pagenos referencing owners manual my2006)

greets ... Klaus

EDIT:
Re-reading your PS ... yep, "half height" = small MFD / "upright rectangular" = large MFD

EDIT #2:
With small MFD, still most of those convenience settings can be programmed via diagnose tool (at you dealer's or someone having vagcom or vcds) ... but that's another story ;)

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021
Hi guys, sorry to barge in like this, but this thread is the closest I've found so far that is close enough to my problems that started with the fact that I just seem to not be able of finding the correct manual for my car.

I have recently bought a 2004 Altea 2.0L 16V 103 kW. Kinda old, but has way less verified mileage and way more bells and whistles than a friend's 2005 Altea 1.9L 77 kW. I wanted to enter the Main Menu to configure some things and to check if the previous owner hadn't messed witj the settings in a way that would be the cause of some of the instruments behaving in an odd fashion.

From this thread, now I know that I just dont have a menu to enter, because I have a small MFD with rocker switches to flip through the memory windows. Are there any decent diagnostic tools that would help? I've seen OBD bluetooth adapters around the web, but finding the software looks like its gonna be a drag...especially with some better ones simply charging you annually.

I just want to stop my side mirrors from syncing, check winter tyre settings and maybe some other things...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise