Octopus Go - Override the Off Peak hours temporarily.

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
Just got my Formentor today and the infotainment system is overwhelming for sure!! Now have everything connected including Cupra App so thats a good start.

I am on Octopus Go - which means i get really cheap rate charging between 00.30 - 04.30 - 7.5p / kwh!

So looking at settings i can limit the car to this charging window by:

1. Setting off peak time in e-manager to 00.30 - 04.30.
  2. Setting min Battery to 0%
I haven;t tried this but seems obvious way of doing it. I have a dumb homecharger so can't do anything outside of the cars charging menu or phone app.

However there is obviously times where i just want to plugin and fully charge outside this window selectively. On my Outlander i had a button press on key i could just override this charge window. However there doesn't seem to be any obvious ways to do this on the Formentor other than messing with settings and having to mess them back.

Any solutions please?

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
IMG_4245.jpeg

think this how you do it in the app - makes sense - just putting this grr for later searches

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Congrats on getting your new car!

You're absolutely right, just toggle that switch and it will override the timer and start charging.

I use the app to set my departure times as I find it easier than going via the infotainment system as per:
Screenshot_20230420_095746_CUPRA CONNECT.jpg Screenshot_20230420_095843_CUPRA CONNECT.jpg
I don't have off-peak electricity unfortunately. 7.5p/kwh eh, I'm very jealous :p.

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
Congrats on getting your new car!

You're absolutely right, just toggle that switch and it will override the timer and start charging.

I use the app to set my departure times as I find it easier than going via the infotainment system as per:
View attachment 36487 View attachment 36488
I don't have off-peak electricity unfortunately. 7.5p/kwh eh, I'm very jealous :p.
Thank you - defo look at Octopus GO or similar. I locked in October which is why it is cheaper.. OnPeak is more expensive but I just offload as much of intensive stuff to Off Peak... Car/Tumble Dryer/Washing Machine/Dishwasher/Hot Water etc.. as I can.. It does take a little of bit of jiggery pokery..

1681987752466.png

Rates will vary slightly depending on your location.. Oh and you must have a Smart Meter with successful half hour readings.... there are other tariffs that work slightly differently but this seemed most useable

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Thank you - defo look at Octopus GO or similar. I locked in October which is why it is cheaper.. OnPeak is more expensive but I just offload as much of intensive stuff to Off Peak... Car/Tumble Dryer/Washing Machine/Dishwasher/Hot Water etc.. as I can.. It does take a little of bit of jiggery pokery..

View attachment 36489

Rates will vary slightly depending on your location.. Oh and you must have a Smart Meter with successful half hour readings.... there are other tariffs that work slightly differently but this seemed most useable
I'll definitely take a look. We have a smart meter so should be OK. Need to sit down and do some maths to see how it would work for us.
Off on holiday tomorrow for a week so that'll give the car a good run. Luckily we've got EV charging included at the place we're staying so that's a bonus.

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
Enjoy your holiday - if you want a way of checking - there is a great App called Octopus Compare. It's on iOS, not sure about android but lets you plug in your usage and compare the two tarriffs and lets you know would you save..

edit.... (but just thinking about it you need to be on Octopus to get the data on the app! so that might not work

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Thanks!

Looks like Apple only as you say but there are comparison websites available. I shall give it a go after the holiday.

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
I think the only way you can get the car to fully charge to 100% is not to have any Departure Times set, which is really annoying if you go to work on regular days but want to charge it beforehand and then jump in the car on a Saturday morning to find it's only charged to max 50%.

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
I think the only way you can get the car to fully charge to 100% is not to have any Departure Times set, which is really annoying if you go to work on regular days but want to charge it beforehand and then jump in the car on a Saturday morning to find it's only charged to max 50%.
So I on App you hit charge button doesn't it just start charging to 100%..
1682070298408.png

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
By the way octopus go and intelligent have just reduced their prices quite significantly. You need to be on octopus and have a smart meter, or have one fitted to take part but can be a massive saving as off peak is only 7.5p/kw'h! On peak is slightly more expensive but not much more..

If you aren't on octopus you can join here https://share.octopus.energy/rainy-ash-860 you get 50quid as do I for referral.. But feel free to make you own decisions..

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
So I on App you hit charge button doesn't it just start charging to 100%..
View attachment 36508
Yes it does.
If a departure time is set it will charge to a maximum of 50% then do the rest just before the time set.
It's annoying if you're charge is below the preset level and then you forget (50% is the max but it can be set lower).
Flick the switch and it will override the departure time.

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
Yes it does.
If a departure time is set it will charge to a maximum of 50% then do the rest just before the time set.
It's annoying if you're charge is below the preset level and then you forget (50% is the max but it can be set lower).
Flick the switch and it will override the departure time.
Hmm i need to test this.. I have off peak charging set successfully. Min Battery set to 0% and between 00.30 and 4.30 it charges to full 100%. I have to set a departure time to get off peak charging settings.

I assumed that outside of this window if I hit charge now - it would just go to 100% but I have not had chance to test this as yet...

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Hmm i need to test this.. I have off peak charging set successfully. Min Battery set to 0% and between 00.30 and 4.30 it charges to full 100%. I have to set a departure time to get off peak charging settings.

I assumed that outside of this window if I hit charge now - it would just go to 100% but I have not had chance to test this as yet...
Yeah, I'm fairly sure it will if you flick the switch. I have mine set to 50% because I don't have cheap rate electricity.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Why do you not just have it charge as soon as you plug in to full? to preserve battery?
It's me being a bit ocd I suppose. In theory it stresses the battery to leave it at 100% for long periods.
I don't use the car every day being an old git so not an issue for me to that way.

Reactions: bounderboy
Mar 4, 2023
Just changed my electricity to Octopus Intelligent and most of it seems to be working well.

I have had two occasions where the car hasn’t fully charged even though the Octopus schedule was set automatically for nearly the full time from 11:30pm to 5:30am.

SEAT Connect app settings where set for no departure times which is what I understood was the correct way to do it so it wouldn’t override the Octopus app, having it set like this was meaning the car would start to charge then Octopus app would stop it until 11:30pm (after waiting up till 11:30pm) it did start to charge again but when getting up in the morning it would only seem to have charge a max of 15%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bounderboy

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Just changed my electricity to Octopus Intelligent and most of it seems to be working well.

I have had two occasions where the car hasn’t fully charged even though the Octopus schedule was set automatically for nearly the full time from 11:30pm to 5:30am.

SEAT Connect app settings where set for no departure times which is what I understood was the correct way to do it so it wouldn’t override the Octopus app, having it set like this was meaning the car would start to charge then Octopus app would stop it until 11:30pm (after waiting up till 11:30pm) it did start to charge again but when getting up in the morning it would only seem to have charge a max of 15%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did it start behaving itself? I've just switched to Intelligent Octopus - the test charge completed OK but I'm yet to try it 'in anger'!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members