Leon PHEV - Scheduled Charging Issue

Jun 7, 2022
Hi All,

I’ve just moved onto an Octopus EV charging tariff (Go Faster 02:30 - 06:30) to take advantage of cheap rates for charging overnight to fit my schedule.

I have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus charger and I’ve set up a schedule on the Wallbox app for the cheap charging window overnight, however so far the car hasn’t charged once during the schedule. The schedule is definitely saved in the Wallbox app and the blue light on the charger blinks when connected to the car to show that it’s waiting for the schedule to start, so that looks good.

Things I’ve tried/checked so far:

• Verified that the charger isn’t locked and that the auto lock function isn’t enabled
  • Verified that there are no charging settings/schedules set in the car’s onboard settings that could conflict with the charger’s schedule
  • Restarted the charger from the app
  • Reinstalled the Wallbox app and re-paired the Bluetooth connection to the charger
  • Run a test schedule starting in the next 5 mins to verify the charger is working properly, charging started as expected
As a test schedule worked within about 5 mins of plugging in and locking the car, I’m wondering whether there is a time period where the car “looks” for a charger after being locked and after that goes dormant and won’t accept a charge. This may explain why the charge doesn’t start overnight, several hours after the car was plugged in and locked.

I’m now thinking that it might be worth setting a charging schedule on the car’s infotainment system to match the schedule of the charger. Maybe this would get my car to look for a charger at 02:30 when the Wallbox is starting to provide power?

Has anyone else had a similar problem with their PHEV? I’m keen to see if anyone has any ideas/spots anything obvious that I’ve missed.

Thanks all.

Chrispy

Oct 6, 2018
Personally I wouldn't set any schedule on the Wallbox. Just do it all through the car.

Scheduled charging is one thing that actually seems to work well on the MK4 Leon!!

Reactions: Davehaslanded

Davehaslanded

Jan 25, 2017
England
Personally I wouldn't set any schedule on the Wallbox. Just do it all through the car.

Scheduled charging is one thing that actually seems to work well on the MK4 Leon!!
Completely agree. A lot of people think you have to pay for the seat app to do scheduled charging. You don't. you just have to set it up in the car, instead of on your phone. I also have it set up to heat to 18c when i unlock the car. That way, if i'm going out, outside of my schedule, I unlock the car 15 mins prior to departure, and its heated when I leave. Again, a lot of people think this is a subscription feature. It isn't.

Reactions: C_ED_99

DMP

Mar 31, 2023
Hi All,
Not had my leon long so hoping someone knows what i'm doing wrong... I'm just about to go on octopus cheap night time rate and trying to get scheduled charging working but the test i have just tried doesnt seem to be working.

I've not got a wallbox just the 3 pin plug charging cable that came with it (is that the issue?)

So, At 11.30 using the connect app i went into departure times and for the test i set it to charging and put the time in to 12.00 to 12.30. went outside plugged cable in and didnt start to charge but at 12.00 it started!! so far so good i thought :unsure: But 12.30 came and went and its still charging?????

Any idea anyone what i have done wrong??

Thanks in advance (y)

DMP

Mar 31, 2023
just tried the same process again and its just immediately started charging and has ignored the schedual?

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Hi All,
Not had my leon long so hoping someone knows what i'm doing wrong... I'm just about to go on octopus cheap night time rate and trying to get scheduled charging working but the test i have just tried doesnt seem to be working.

I've not got a wallbox just the 3 pin plug charging cable that came with it (is that the issue?)

So, At 11.30 using the connect app i went into departure times and for the test i set it to charging and put the time in to 12.00 to 12.30. went outside plugged cable in and didnt start to charge but at 12.00 it started!! so far so good i thought :unsure: But 12.30 came and went and its still charging?????

Any idea anyone what i have done wrong??

Thanks in advance (y)
I can't understand what you've done there unless your Seat Connect app is different to the Cupra Connect I have? Departure time is set for the time you want to set off on your journey. So the car will start to charge at sometime prior to the set departure time. If you battery is at really low, say 10% then it will start charging much earlier than is it's at 90% for example.

I have a departure time set for 8am tomorrow in the screenshot attached. It's charging now because I have the minimum charge level set to 50%. Once it gets to that level it will stop charging and start again probably around 6am tomorrow.
Screenshot_20230703_140350_CUPRA CONNECT.jpg Screenshot_20230703_140434_CUPRA CONNECT.jpg

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
just tried the same process again and its just immediately started charging and has ignored the schedual?
Could be the minimum charge level as I mentioned above perhaps? Have a look here:

DMP

Mar 31, 2023
tested again and it seemed to start charging when it was supposed to.

The timer was set in the off peak power settings! it seems to start charging but doesnt stop? by the looks of things it will just charge to 100%

I have set it to start charging at 00.30 so fingers crossed i get in car in the morning and its charged.

Dave, So just to clarify mate! From what your saying the way it works is.
(ignoring what i have been trying)

If the departure time is set it starts charging accordingly so when you want to leave it is fully charged?

So if for example departure set for 9..

10% battery remaining starts charging at roughly 5am

90% battery remaining starts charging at roughly 8am

Am i understanding you correctly??

Regards, Darren.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230703_141813_SEAT CONNECT.jpg
    Screenshot_20230703_141813_SEAT CONNECT.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20230703_141834_SEAT CONNECT.jpg
    Screenshot_20230703_141834_SEAT CONNECT.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 58

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Hi Darren, yes you've understood that correctly.

I don't have off-peak peak electricity unfortunately so I've never dabbled with that. I wonder if you need to set a departure time at all though if you've set off-peak to on? Surely it'll simply charge between those times assuming you've plugged it in of course. 5 hours of charging from a 3 pin plug should be just about enough I'd have thought :unsure: .

What I don't know is that if it hasn't reached 100% within the off-peak power time band will it then restart closer to the departure time just to top it off?

If you don't get the full 100% within the off-peak window you could fit a 16a commando socket. It would be much cheaper than fitting a proper wall charger.

All the best,
Dave

DMP

Mar 31, 2023
Thanks for the reply dave, i'll try the different options now i understand a bit more of how it works and see whats best.
commando socket? i'll google it and have a look.
Thanks again (y)

Reactions: oldgitdave
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.