Car Key Lost

Oct 27, 2021
Does any one know how much a replacement key costs? My son has lost his one and only key. Being this time of night there isn't much I can do, a couple of places have said its dealer only. So anyone know how much a dealer will charge for a complete replacement key? And is it done same day?

Its a 2015 Seat Ibiza

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Really a big problem for your son, he can contact the dealership and as long as he provides his "prove of ownership" they will order in a new key, or should that now be two new keys that will have blades cut to suit that car's locks. After they have arrived, he will either need to get that car transported to the dealership so that they can connect the car to SEAT mothership for programming the new key(s) and deleting the lost key(s).

Another route could be to get an auto locksmith to pick the locks, remove probably the driver's door barrel to find out the lock code, and for them to cut a key to that code, but how they could then program it to the car remains a mystery to me and maybe others.

There is a lesson to be learned here, never ever, end up with only having a single key for a car, it is a dumb situation to put yourself into - and avoidable.

Edit:- I'd guess that the total cost for two keys, one fully "as was" and one basic working key, will be round about/close to £300.

Oct 27, 2021
Right so got this sorted, a local auto locksmith came out and had it done in 45 minutes. Was £250 for one key but thankfully was all done there and then!

Oct 27, 2021
Me too to be honest, I contacted a few auto locksmiths last night of which only a couple replied despite "24 hour" service being in their ad. Bloke said no problem can be there in 20 mins.

Main dealer got back to me as well, they want £300+vat and would take a few days for key to arrive plus they needed the car which would have added another £100 on top in transport costs.

All in all was really happy with the job done, not too happy the key was lost in the first place though think he learnt his lesson on that one.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.