Car was Keyed all round

taxiboy

May 1, 2010
Someone keyed my car on Saturday, they went all round the car. The scratches affected 10 panels and I got chipaways to come out and been quoted £1,200-apparnetly needs a respray. Can someone be kind enough to outline the various options to repairing the scratches which aren’t super deep, I’m not looking for a finish like chipaways where they respray all 10 panels. I’m just a better solution under a cheaper option. I know of the following:

1.T-Cut - £8 ish (tried already.. Helps a little as it's only for surface scratches that aren't deep)

2.Touch up paint -£12 ish

Porker3

May 17, 2015
Take it to a professional detailer who can advise if the scratches can be polished out. If they cant then the only real option in my opinion would be a respray. A professional polish depending on the level you want to go to would be around £200-400.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
As above if not too deep a professional detailed may be able to help, where are you based?

And people that do this are scum, we had our X Type done and it basically wrote the car off, but that was right through the paint. Feel for you buddy.

lil3520

IBIZA 1.9 TDI SPORT 08
Nov 26, 2006
ALCESTER, WARWICKSHIRE
Sorry to hear that.
I had my old Nissan Primera 2.0 GT keyed down the passenger side. Front wing / 2 doors / Rear panel had to be resprayed. Colour was met green / purple.
I was gutted .car in mint condition with team dynamics alloy wheels.
Happened at night.didn't notice it until later on next day. As I just got up and went straight to work.

Andy

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Bastrds! I had a twat of a neighbour who used to damage my old Passat. Every so often there would be a new deep scratch, blade/tool in my tyre, broken wiper etc. I couldn't prove it, but he made it clear that it was him. The damage is not only expensive but the f ing rage you feel when they do sh8 to your car, still sends me nuts!

Good luck with it all mate, I really feel for you.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Having recently found drive away accident damage to my car I feel for you, hope the culprits next **** is a hedgehog.

taxiboy

May 1, 2010
Take it to a professional detailer who can advise if the scratches can be polished out. If they cant then the only real option in my opinion would be a respray. A professional polish depending on the level you want to go to would be around £200-400.

THanks, first time hearing about a professional detailer....will contact a couple.....I'm in thurrock.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Taxiboy try KDS Detailing in Gillngham if it can be repaired they will do it. . Or Gleammachine in Chafford Hundred.

Last edited:

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
Go over it with your fingernail if it digs in then the scratch may be too deep to polish out although a good detailer can smooth out the edges of a scratch so they look less noticible.

You might be able to get away with just some wetsanding and polishing depending on how deep the scratch is.

Check this vid to see what goes into repairing a really deep scratch to a ok'ish standard without full respray

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=16eCcIz8sE4

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Where did it happen, if it was at your house and you just get it all sorted and park in the same place without getting a cctv cam on it, it might happen again. Who have you fell out with if it was at home.

devJORD

OBD11 Wizard
Nov 14, 2014
I bet it's just some kids trying to impress there mates. That's some seriously :censored: luck!

LeonFRTDi

MrGadget
Jan 29, 2005
Northsostishire
Had 5 panels on my stunning Mk1 Leon FR at about 5years old i was gutted & to this day never found out who did it. Had local bodyshop Respray all panels & then blow/blend into the adjoining ones.
Car is still going & its 12yrs old in a month & paint work ni on perfect.
It was a Black Car & honestly just get it repainted, you couldnt tell mine afterwards.

weirdkerr

Nov 24, 2013
Morayshire
A friend had his car(audi tts) keyed about 18 months ago, damage was all down one side and partially on the other so needed an almost full respray , lucky for him his brother works in a body repair centre so he had it repaired at just above cost and then put paint protection film on the car (its like getting a wrap but clear film), which can go some way to protect the paint and stop stone chips....