Carbon clean

SiR26

Mar 21, 2015
Manchester
I've noticed the Cupra (280) is feeling a little sluggish under acceleration recently, almost like it's down on power. It's been serviced recently well maintained and looked after but either I'm just used to the power or there's something wrong ! Note it's only done 23k , 3 years old .

I've read into something called carbon cleaning which claims to rid the crap inside the engine and improve power, mpg , engine response.

Has anyone had it done ? It seems relatively inexpensive but is it gimmick /a waste of time or a genuine service that will restore performance .

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Is it main dealer serviced? Pretty sure they only Change air filter a 40k so if not done would be worth doing for a few quid and may help with sluggishness

SiR26

Mar 21, 2015
Manchester
Yeah it's main dealer serviced .

Sounds like a plan , where's it located in the engine bay - assume it's easy self fit .

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Really easy to change. Approx 5 torx head screws if I remember correctly. It's the large black plastic rectangle in front of battery. Do a search on you tube for golf mk7 r air filter change and there a decent vid on there from an American guy.

SiR26

Mar 21, 2015
Manchester
So I changed the filter today - decided to get a pipercross and the sluggishness has gone. Nice - thanks. All.

easy to change, the old one was filthy . Can't believe It hasn't been changed in the 3 services its had - seriously question why i bother with main dealer .

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
So I changed the filter today - decided to get a pipercross and the sluggishness has gone. Nice - thanks. All.

easy to change, the old one was filthy . Can't believe It hasn't been changed in the 3 services its had - seriously question why i bother with main dealer .

Many years ago, if I remember correctly, the majority of cars had to have their air filters changed at 24.000 miles or every two years!

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex

Honestly I'd recommend everyone on this forum to change it. Filters only cost £10-£15 from a place like carparts4less and it's a 20 min job tips.
The performance benefits are obvious.

SiR26

Mar 21, 2015
Manchester
Honestly I'd recommend everyone on this forum to change it. Filters only cost £10-£15 from a place like carparts4less and it's a 20 min job tips.
The performance benefits are obvious.

Not even that mate - 6 bolts took me 2 mins

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Hold on guys you are talking about 3 different things here.

OP is talking about carbon cleaning, which involves pumping a solution through the engine. Terra Clean is the name it goes by a lot.

Then somebody has mentioned the carbon filter, and it now sounds like the OP has changed the air filter.

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex

OP is talking about carbon cleaning, which involves pumping a solution through the engine. Terra Clean is the name it goes by a lot.

Then somebody has mentioned the carbon filter, and it now sounds like the OP has changed the air filter.

Welcome to the internet lol.

SiR26

Mar 21, 2015
Manchester

Yeah I was originally looking to have a carbon clean carried out to get rid of the sluggish acceleration but then someone recommended changing the air filter . It feels better now - thought seat would change these as part of their regular service especially on performance model !!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.