Cheap Sound proofing

ressull

Ibiza FR TDi
Jun 13, 2006
Irvine, Scotland
Hi, just intalled sub, amp and 6x9's in my Mk Ibiza TDi and while the panels are off i'm looking to to some sound proofing, on a tight budget tho.

I have heard good and bad things about flashing tape, not too convinced that it will make much of a difference. Would flashing tape along with say foam/loft insulation in rear quarters and maybe just flashing tape under floor etc reduce the sound much?

Also, i've seen cheap sound proofing sheets on ebay (10 sheets for £30 inc. delivery) but not sure if they would be more effective than flashing tape or not?

Basically, i would appreciate any ideas on how to do cheap sound proofing by whatever method.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated

warren_cox

Back from the dead
personally I wouldn't consider anything other than sound proofing felt (Dynamat / brown Bread).

I had a 16V Jetta years ago, and the previous owner had used this orange felt padding and it was useless - it took me weeks to get the stuff off the car and replace it. It doesn't suppress panel resonance at all, just muffles it slightly. Do it bit by bit if you have to, but do it properly.

ressull

Ibiza FR TDi
Jun 13, 2006
Irvine, Scotland
I might look into going down the brown bread road, bit by bit as you suggested. Was hoping there might be a cheaper alternative but maybe not.

thanks

riffy

I put flashing strip (from Wickes I do believe) on an old AXGT I had. Got to say it did make the doors shut nicely :D Then again the AX was hardly renowned for it's excellent build quality!

I was informed it was basiclly the same as brown bread, no idea how true it is though.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.