Clicking/Clunk Noise When Turning Left and Right?

DiddlyDonker

Jan 3, 2015
North Wales
Hi guys,

Read a few posts on cars with similar symptoms to this but was hoping for a more direct answer if possible.

Over the last few days I've noticed a clicking/clunk noise coming from the front of the car when steering both directions. It's a "clunk, clunk, clunk" noise as you turn towards full lock. It only happens when turning the wheel. It's not very loud, I only heard it when I turned the radio off, and can only really be heard when pulling up/away somewhere, I.e onto a driveway or from a junction, probably because it's drowned out by the noisy Diesel engine and it can't be heard outside the car.

Any ideas? I was thinking bearings or cv joints, but I'm a novice when it comes to car mechanics.

Thanks.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Possibly a broken spring juddering around in the mount, if it only happens as the wheel is being turned.

A11Y_EK

Jul 23, 2014
I've experiencing this in other cars I've had and turned out to be the CV joint. Best to have it checked out as it could be anti roll bar bushes or something else like that but i'm like you and a bit of a novice mechanic ha ha

GS16LRHP

Feb 17, 2014
I've heard a bad CV joint, it's a clunk clunk clunk sound when moving and having the steering wheel in full lock position. Is there a noise when you're stationary and turn the steering wheel either side?
Have you checked the CV joints for any splits in the rubber boot?

DiddlyDonker

Jan 3, 2015
North Wales
I've heard a bad CV joint, it's a clunk clunk clunk sound when moving and having the steering wheel in full lock position. Is there a noise when you're stationary and turn the steering wheel either side?
Have you checked the CV joints for any splits in the rubber boot?

I've tested it in a car park by turning full lock and driving in a circle and there's no noise, it's just when you turn the steering wheel left or right either when moving or stationary. Haven't checked the CV joints no, will have to look up how to do it.

I'll have to book it in at my local garage soon.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:

DiddlyDonker

Jan 3, 2015
North Wales
One person turning the steering wheel with the bonnet open and other person checking if the sound comes from the upper strut mount.

Had a go at that and you can't hear anything from outside the car. Had a look at the CVs, track rods and springs and all seems fine, but as I say you can't hear anything at all from outside the vehicle it's just in the cockpit. I don't know if it's because the clunking noise is drowned out by the Diesel engine or what.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise