Auto hold brake pedal noise (clunk)

Villabrand

Apr 2, 2023
I have the manual V2 1.5, and find when Auto Hold is switched on and I come to a standstill, when I take my foot off the brake pedal there is a big clunk noise from the pedal.

I'm assuming this is just the pedal springing back when Auto hold is applied but have not had this on previous cars with auto hold and it is pretty annoying and loud.

Is anyone else experiencing similar sounds?

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
I have the manual V2 1.5, and find when Auto Hold is switched on and I come to a standstill, when I take my foot off the brake pedal there is a big clunk noise from the pedal.

I'm assuming this is just the pedal springing back when Auto hold is applied but have not had this on previous cars with auto hold and it is pretty annoying and loud.

Is anyone else experiencing similar sounds?

Exactly the same here, though my car is a 2018 Leon.
I went to my local dealer for this, but mechanics said that they didn't hear anything unusual. That was more annoying than the noise itself.

Anyway, I don't think it's related to auto-hold.
Regardless of the auto-hold state, the pedal just clunks when I take my foot off it quickly.
There is no noise when I release the pedal slowly.

Villabrand

Apr 2, 2023
Ok, so tested this morning and definitely related to auto hold. Noise does not occur when releasing brake pedal with auto hold off. Seems the pedal is released easier due to auto hold being on and this creates the clunk as it's a softer release when Auto hold off.

Car not due for its first service for 18mths so guess I'll have to put up with it unless I want to set up an additional booking.

Villabrand

Apr 2, 2023
Its normal. Dont now why or what is is bit it sound hard and bad but i have this already for 3 years.
Yes, I am just going to have to take my foot off the brake pedal slower . I just don't get how my last few A3s had auto hold and none had this issue. Can only think it's down to cheaper parts.

LetsForment

Nov 28, 2022
South East England
Cupra say it's the brake material, wet conditions and long term, I.e overnight, pressure. It's not auto hold, in my case it's the parking brakes. When setting off, releasing them does not help.

i get it more in winter, and definitely humidity related. Cupra say it's a normal thing for cars these days. So, ho ho ho and a bottle of rum.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Cupra say it's the brake material, wet conditions and long term, I.e overnight, pressure. It's not auto hold, in my case it's the parking brakes. When setting off, releasing them does not help.

i get it more in winter, and definitely humidity related. Cupra say it's a normal thing for cars these days. So, ho ho ho and a bottle of rum.
As I park on my own drive with a very slight incline, I have wood next to the bottom kerb for the wheels to stop against, so I never put the handbrake on. As an auto it locks the gears anyway so I only use the handbrake when away from home, so no sticking on for me.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.