Clonking noise near front wheels

yessar_kd

May 4, 2008
Birmingham
Hi , I have a clunk from both front wheel when going over potholes , But not over speed humps.
I have changed drop links, Checked coil spring , Wishbone , Anti roll Bar all seem fine. I have also changed front discs / Pads couple of weeks ago.
Car has done 40K . Steering is ok drives in straight line. No issues

Car drives fine , its only when driving over some pot holes , deep manhole covers. Do also get a clonk noise when braking at low speed or parking. Any suggestions. Thanks

Car is a Seat Cupra 290

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I've just had my top mounts and top mount bearings replaced under warranty, and this has taken away clunking and creaking.

As per @Walone 's post above, also had clunking on a Mk5 Golf previously when the locating screw on the front disc was loose, and aftermarket pads can rattle in the callipers too.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Yes it was and still there when i changed the disk/pads. They were changed over a month ago. Regarding the clonking noise over bumps has been there recently for a week
What brake system? TRW or Brembo? If TRW (340dia disc) I have seen many aftermarket pads use an incorrect anti noise shim. On this brake pad design - the shim wraps around the pad back plate, meaning the thickness of this shim becomes a critical dimension - and many aftermarket suppliers (including big braking names) just use a cheap thin shim - which means the width dimension is 0.75-1.00mm too small so the pads can rattle/clonk.

Clonking under braking can also be related to your dampers. Try bumping your damper with your hand to see if it makes a noise?

Reactions: yessar_kd

yessar_kd

May 4, 2008
Birmingham
What brake system? TRW or Brembo? If TRW (340dia disc) I have seen many aftermarket pads use an incorrect anti noise shim. On this brake pad design - the shim wraps around the pad back plate, meaning the thickness of this shim becomes a critical dimension - and many aftermarket suppliers (including big braking names) just use a cheap thin shim - which means the width dimension is 0.75-1.00mm too small so the pads can rattle/clonk.

Clonking under braking can also be related to your dampers. Try bumping your damper with your hand to see if it makes a noise?
I have TRW brake system. Thanks for this, will check the car on the weekend. Make more sense with the rattle/clonk noise.

Butty

Sep 7, 2018
Pad clonk/ slap with old and new sets not having shims or paste on back. You may need something like Ceratec but don't use copper based grease.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.