Clutch hp

Sep 19, 2020
Afternoon all. I'm thinking about putting a race chip in my 138 hp 2.0 seat leon tdi. Apparently it will jump to 178hp with 350 torque. Anyone know if a stock clutch will last? Cheers all

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
A race chip? Sounds like the sort of thing that will **** the engine over pretty quickly.

Get a decent remap done at a reputable place.

Sep 19, 2020
Okay mate thanks for the advice, still wondering about the amount of hp the stock clutch can handle ? Any ideas pal?

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
People often tune the 140 to 170 so you should be fine with the stock clutch as long as it's got a decent amount of life in it still.

If you're worried a decent remap place can limit the torque to help keep the clutch alive.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Race Chip is fine, it will actually be kinder to your clutch than a remap as piggy back chips don’t offer the same increases as a full fat remap. Plus if your clutch does start to slip you can easily remove the race chip.

Reactions: Kyle Everett

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
Race Chip is fine, it will actually be kinder to your clutch than a remap as piggy back chips don’t offer the same increases as a full fat remap. Plus if your clutch does start to slip you can easily remove the race chip.
I don’t believe this to be true, although the gains aren’t possibly as great the delivery of power is very different. A good mapper will bring torque in smoothly and later, the box just lets it have it.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I don’t believe this to be true, although the gains aren’t possibly as great the delivery of power is very different. A good mapper will bring torque in smoothly and later, the box just lets it have it.
How many good mappers do you know.

most remap’s are some guy with a laptop who’s apparently very good and been doing it for years.... and then upload a generic remap and send you on your way.

custom mapper that knows what they are doing with a rolling road at their disposal then yes. Generic map maybe not.

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
I didn’t say a generic map, I said “a good mapper” so you comment is pointless (although “good mapper” isn’t the best terminology)

I know 2 “good mappers” with rolling roads at their disposal one I would use for diesel and one I would use for petrol although the diesel guy can do petrol as well. There are plenty of genuine guys that are well known and have good reputations. I still don’t see the point in your post/reply to me asking how many good mappers do I know.

Reactions: BigJase88