Collection and First few weeks tips & Advice

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
With little over a week untill I collect my 1.4 FR with tech and 18s I'm curious about the things to do and look for when collecting (such as paint condition etc).
I have never had a brand new car previously so understandably I'm some what exxited , but want to have my head straight so I dont sign for things that are wrong...

Secondly, what if any are the running in parameters? Easy for a few thousand? Oil change after 1200 miles? None of this? Modern cars dont need running in? Can anyone clear this up for me...

Many Thanks in advance!!

Spuddo

Aug 5, 2013
I'm far less fussy than some but to be honest I've had 9-10 new cars and on all of them I have a quick walk round to check panels all line up and there are no big issues with paint (there will be small orange peel parts on paint it's just a fact on modern cars).

As for running in some might disagree, but once it's warm you can what you like with it. Obviously the first 1000 miles or so avoid revving the guts off it and no standing 0-60 blasts. The thing that needs running in most on a modern car is the brake pads and just think how much attention you pay to that when you've changed them on previous cars.

ma9mwah

Aug 13, 2009
Secondly, what if any are the running in parameters? Easy for a few thousand? Oil change after 1200 miles? None of this? Modern cars dont need running in? Can anyone clear this up for me...

from the manual

Running in the engine
A new vehicle should be run in over a distance of 1500 km (1000 miles). For
the first 1000 km (600 miles) the engine speed should not exceed 2/3 of
the maximum permissible engine speed. In doing so, do not accelerate at
full throttle and do not drive with a trailer! From 1000 to 1500 km (600 to
1000 miles) you can gradually increase the engine rpm and road speed.

During its first few hours of running, the internal friction in the engine is
greater than later on when all the moving parts have bedded down.

How the vehicle is driven for the first 1500 km (1000 miles) influences the
future engine performance. Subsequently, also drive at a moderate rate, especially
when the engine is still cold: this will lead to less engine wear and
tear and will prolong its useful life.

You should also avoid driving with the engine speed too low. Change down
to a lower gear when the engine no longer runs “smoothly”. If the engine
revs too much, cut fuel injection to protect the engine.

Bubbs

Jul 18, 2013
Some things that spring to mind :

1. Make sure the rear number plate is SCREWED on. Sticky pads do not mix well with the plastic FR bumper trim, I speak from personal experience on this.

2. Ensure the cubby hole in front of the gearlever (beneath the heating controls) opens and closes correctly.

3. If you've ordered any extras, make sure they are present and correct.

4. Go over the bodywork one panel at a time, looking from different angles to ensure that it is devoid of any marks (sadly other than the obligatory dealership swirls).

5. You should get 2 cables for the media system too by the way, so make sure they're in the glovebox.

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
I'm far less fussy than some but to be honest I've had 9-10 new cars and on all of them I have a quick walk round to check panels all line up and there are no big issues with paint (there will be small orange peel parts on paint it's just a fact on modern cars).

As for running in some might disagree, but once it's warm you can what you like with it. Obviously the first 1000 miles or so avoid revving the guts off it and no standing 0-60 blasts. The thing that needs running in most on a modern car is the brake pads and just think how much attention you pay to that when you've changed them on previous cars.

I could have wrote that one myself Spuddo :thumbup:

Few others In addition to Bubbs list..

6. If the tax on your old car has value left on it and wasn't in the deal then rip it off the minute you park up at the dealers.

7. Have you left with your insurance paperwork that your insurance company sent to the dealer?

8. Have you got x2 RCL keys? (replacing one can cost you a small fortune)

9. Is the jack and the locking wheelnut key present? (under boot floor mat)

You'll probably find a checklist at Checklist.com that fits the bill.

Enjoy that first new car experience :)

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
That's some great advice chaps! I think I need to write a little check list before I go, the first 1k miles driving like my nan is gonna kill me though. Always nice to see what the new toy has to play with! Considering ive not driven that model and engine combo!

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
That's some great advice chaps! I think I need to write a little check list before I go, the first 1k miles driving like my nan is gonna kill me though. Always nice to see what the new toy has to play with! Considering ive not driven that model and engine combo!

I was a bit concerned about being limited to 4000rpm in my 1.4TSI but quite frankly the spread of torque from that engine is so amazing and now that it has passed 1000 km it has really gained little by revving much higher.

Also remember that 4000 rpm in 6th is 115mph!

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
6 days..... (No I'm not counting!)

5​

ZWqm4Ng.gif

bdenson

Dec 3, 2013
Bolton
Some things that spring to mind :

1. Make sure the rear number plate is SCREWED on. Sticky pads do not mix well with the plastic FR bumper trim, I speak from personal experience on this.

Does this only apply to FR models?

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
@Andy, Just noticed in your "order" that your car has the tilting mirror, I thought they had stopped this now or am I missing something??

Last edited:

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
I hope not I've paid for it. Just had a quick nosey on the SEAT Configurator and I no longer see it. Probably thinking whats the point everyones enabling it anyway lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
Just remembered I saved the configuration to the hdd, its there.

You can only go with the spec at the point of order, I had the folding mirrors and reverse tilt on the Golf and use them, hence the box tick

yv3a9FE.jpg

Last edited:

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
Hmmm this is a mystery then, I've no idea what build date was for my car so dont know if Itll have this function or not.. (Used to be standard on the FR)

AJ

Oct 16, 2013
It was reinstated in week 45 wasn't it? It's not really a paid option.

That was the plan but then it got delayed and was reinstated from week 49. I was given an initial build week 48 for my Leon FR so thought I'd wait for it and asked for my build to be pushed back a week. The factory changed my build week to 50 (this week yay!!) so that it would definitely get the feature.

Electric folding mirrors with tilting kerb view when reversing is standard on FR models but paid options on other models I believe.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise