Concerned about new car!!

Funkymonkey247

Aug 28, 2016
Hey everone looking for some advice.

I have ordered an in stock car this week apparently in port (2.0 TDI FR150) tech pack Monsoon Grey.

I'm concerned as read that a few features can be different on car if old stock and dealer hasn't yet provided me a VIN number so no cliue when my "in stock" car was manufactured.

Main concerns are: Possibility of no kerb view side mirror

sat nav being lower spec than should be as read on here that if USB in glove box then screen will be lower resolution although not sure if adding tech pack will alter this?

And mainly concerned i'l end up with an engine that needs recalling under VW gate.

I'd really appreciate everyones thoughts,

Many thanks, Ben.

Jonwm

New to the MK2...
Jun 22, 2009
Tamworth
It won't have been there years mate, only months if that, they don't have popular models like the FR just sat around, it will be current MY spec, my current car was one that they couldn't sell, it was in the UK in the September, dealer took a deal from seat to take it on in the January, registered in April as a demo and I brought in the July for £9k off list with 50 miles on it, I did the checks on the vin and it was technically a year old to the month when I brought it but was obviously new as it hadn't been registered, they said to me it was a hard one to shift being the 2.0 petrol and the recession being in full flow, only issue I have had was the mouldy bonnet lining but was changed under warranty.

No way yours will have sat that long

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
Unlikely kerb drop will be missing as it was reinstated to the build around December 2013. So the car would have to be nearly 3 years old..

You may end up with model year 15 as someone on here did recently thinking it was built in Feb. However that would mean it was built over 65 weeks ago as a minimum so a long time for that to be unallocated stock. Unfortunately the tech pack didn't upgrade the sat Nav to the model year 16 onwards version but you may have the option to enable the full link feature.

As already stated the emmisons thing isn't imoacted on this engine.

Funkymonkey247

Aug 28, 2016
What is being refered to with sat nav screen? the current brochure indicates that current tech pack cars come with 6.5" screen with 3D maps but not full link as has to be enabled at build or by dealer!
I'm just a bit wary as the are being cagey about what car I'm receiving!

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
What is being refered to with sat nav screen? the current brochure indicates that current tech pack cars come with 6.5" screen with 3D maps but not full link as has to be enabled at build or by dealer!
I'm just a bit wary as the are being cagey about what car I'm receiving!

MY15 Standard: 5" / Tech pack: 5.8" / Nav High: 6.5
MY16 Standard 5" / Tech pack: 6.5" / Nav High: 6.5 (same screen as tech pack)

Can they not just tell you what model year the car is? You've ordered a car and now have these worries which isnt really what it should be about... Dealer needs to put your mind at rest first!

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
If it's FR it should have Tech pack already as SEAT were bundling that in as part of the offer. Ask politely but bluntly what nav unit is in the car and what model year the build is. Get this in writing asap.

- pre-MY16 the USB is in the glove box, doesn't support Apple CarPlay \ Android Auto and also nav unit is slower (from what I've read)
- MY16 onwards the USB is in the centre console, 6.5" screen and no complaints about the responsiveness of the built-in nav from my experience. However if you want Full Link you need to spec it as part of the build as it'll cost you more to have fitted afterwards.

Long and short of it if the car isn't guaranteed to be MY16 cancel the order; don't be paying brand new prices for old stock! Someone else on here had the same experience with the dealer being less-than-honest about how new his "new" car actually was and ended up with the old nav unit etc.

Also worth noting that some MY16 FR builds have had front parking sensors removed despite being advertised as included when the car was purchased. Again if you specced this make sure all the documentation is there to back you up if the spec changes on delivery. Members here have had varying levels of success getting the missing sensors retrofitted.

Last edited:

Funkymonkey247

Aug 28, 2016
If it turns out that my dealer is supplying a FY15 car in 2016 should I cancel order, pretty sure there would be no price difference as they are quoting me pretty much list price! We will see what happens tomorrow as they have assured me will get manager to call me tomorrow and confirm!

Luckily I paid on credit card for deposit so as I havent seen the goods should be covered under distance selling regulations.

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
If you're paying list price I'd head over to DriveTheDeal and save ~£3k for starters...

https://www.drivethedeal.com/buy-a-new-car/SEAT/LEON HATCHBACK/index.html

...then if the price is as good as it was for mine cancel your original order if you can.

That's where I got mine from and the price difference for the exact same car was incredible. Only thing is you need to have sold any previous cars beforehand, no part-ex.

Don't accept an MY15 car, you'll regret it if you do imo. Can't remember when the cars changed from TSI to ecoTSI with the start-stop tech but that's another thing to watch out for. Even if he says what you want to hear on the phone get it in either email or printed order with a detailed spec list as verbal agreement means nothing. If it's in the port I'd guess it's an MY16 but you can never be too careful when you're spending top £££.

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
We traded in a 280 for a 290 back in July. Got told there was one of the spec we wanted 'at port' and we could have it in two weeks, sure enough it turned up two weeks later, MY16 latest build.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.