Tuto : How to install a new Autoradio (with different speaker pattern).

Akajou

Sep 13, 2023
First of all, english isn't my first language, so if there is any mistake, please, ignore them. Andid I did something wrong in my post, please tell me how to correct it.

Having a Seat Leon MK3 (2015), I wanted to change the car autoradio because it wasn't compatible with Android Auto. I was tired of having my phone hanging (a bit precariously) in front of my ventilation, very close to the steering wheel. When I received a quote from a professional for 900 euros, I nearly spat out my tea, and I went to look online.
I found this one (with a pretty nice seller, and some good reviews) : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005004046368482.html
Delivered from Poland, in less than a week, so no customs issues, and the package arrived on time (don't refer to the item name, the website translates English very poorly, it's indeed for a Leon (and not a Valentine?)). Following the seller's advice, I bought an extension cable (which I didn't need) because the power plug is behind the CD player, in the glove box.
I wanted to help people who, like me, might have struggled for several reasons:
The first reason is that you need to know that my Leon has a small label (hidden in the trunk or in the official maintenance booklet) with the mention "8RM".
This mention means it has 8 speakers: 4 large ones in each door + 4 tweeters (2 next to the rear door handles, and 2 in the windshield pillars). However, there are two other versions: the code "9DV" with the 4 in the doors + a subwoofer in the trunk + a central speaker under the windshield. And the last version is the "normal" version, with just the 4 door speakers. Of course, the seller I had chosen only supports the "normal" 4 speaker version. So, I searched on forums and in reviews everywhere to figure out what to do. I went to Seat to ask for the relevant wiring diagram, and I came up with this diagram.
I needed to reroute 2 to 9, 3 to 10, 6 to 13, and 7 to 14. Given the thinness of the cables provided with the autoradio, I chose to use these small cables (recovered from a basic car radio adapter at Norauto, for 6 euros (the cheapest)) :
To keep it simple, these are 2.8mm connectors (I think) that I will plug into holes 9, 10, 13, and 14. Then strip a little and connect them to the other mentioned connectors (without touching the wires, I wrap them around the base of the other connectors and tape it with electrical tape). There they are planted in their slot :
You need to be able to remove the destination connectors, and for that, you need to press a mini tab with a paperclip, for example :
And now with the reroute :
Once that's done, the fun (or not) part begins. You need to install the beast. Open the glove box (press the sides to get it out of its hinges and have a little more maneuvering room). Use the keys provided by the sell :
And unplug all the cables behind (some have tabs to push, and for the big cable (quadlock? something like that), you need to lift a plastic part behind, as if it were a handle. Once the main plug is free, you connect and test the car autoradio :
And it works, you turn it off, unplug it. Now, you need to remove the original car stereo (also with the same keys), then unplug the cables and push them to the back, you won't need them. You'll need to pass the cable spaghetti behind (I start with the CD player slot and pass it in that direction because passing the big quadlock plug is impossible). You can use a cable puller or the first USB cable lying around in the car. Also, remember to thread the GPS cable (which you can see in black on the right of the image), and the 2 cables that provide USB ports (which will go loose in my glove box) :
After all this, adjust the cables, reconnect (the small supplied CANBUS box, the CANBUS plug, the power plug, the GPS, the USB, all of this on the car autoradio). And push it into place. And there you have it ! Congrats !
https://i.imgur.com/LbJLli0.jpg (link because 10 pic max)
Then you need to make a few adjustments (time, theme, phone connection, etc). You can store the old car stereo and the CD player in the basement now !

My second reason I has worry about was about functionalities that wouldn't be supported, and the "only" one is that the "mode" button (driving mode) no longer allows you to select the mode, you have to use the touchscreen interface and go into driving settings. The rest of the buttons work, the steering wheel controls also work. So far, no issues. I don't have a rearview camera (but the front and rear proximity sensors are supported without a problem), but I'm thinking of adding one (even if reopening all that cable mess doesn't excite me).

I also have the wire plan if needed, I tried to explained it to the seller, maybe one day they will adapt ...

Reactions: rizani and Butty

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
Really nice guide, couple of questions.

You said you didn't need the extension cable, so the cable will reach the connectors in the glove box easily?

How is the sound quality compared to the standard system? And how long does it take to power on and how responsive is the unit?

Akajou

Sep 13, 2023
Really nice guide, couple of questions.

You said you didn't need the extension cable, so the cable will reach the connectors in the glove box easily?

How is the sound quality compared to the standard system? And how long does it take to power on and how responsive is the unit?
The way it was presented, the cable sent with the autoradio should be shorter, but when I receive the extension cable, it was the exact same size (there was pin added, but not in the place I needed (because it was an extension cable for other brand as well). I read inanother comment that somebody else didn't have to
So, it will reach the glove box like a cable should ... not to thight, not to loose.

For the sound quality, there is a tons of parameter, I didn"t explore everything, but I seems fine to me.

Turning on is quick, nothing to say about. Connecting Android Auto with USB cable is quick, but Connectiong wirelessly is a little bit slower (but ok for me, maybe 20-30 sec ? I didn't count).

The unit is pretty fluid, it's based on android so you can kill app, like on your phone. I found also plenty of parameters I don't know, so I will ask the seller. (I have to wait for the next day, because china is +8 hours away, but the seller always respond, and I swear I asked already 10 000 questions and the seller is always friendly and answer everything (not 100% on the first try because language can be difficult)

Reactions: Frostybear

Frostybear

Nov 7, 2023
Ireland
Since this junsun is for 4 speaker setup, did you lose your 4 tweeter speakers?

I am considering this, but I think have a slightly different head unit to you. I believe mine is the MIB II entry plus (5F0035871(E))....it is very similar to this post https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/ibiza-cupra-2016-headunit-change.469508/
So my car does not have NAV so no GPS antenna I would guess. Does the junsun require a new GPS antenna or can it use the phone link?

My car is 2020 so came fitted with rearview camera already. Do you know is the junsun compatible with pre-existing cameras?

I might try to pull out my headunit over the next few weeks to check out the wiring and compare to your post.

Thanks for the nice guide :)

Akajou

Sep 13, 2023
Hi,
I didn't lose speakers because I duplicate the entry of the main speaker to the tweeter. It's not really "made for this", but it's working for me (I don't use my car as a "bass machine", so I don't recommand this if your are playing musique with a lot a bass, extra loud because the tweeter are not made for this, regular musique, even loud, are ok, just avoid dubstep XD).

I know there is a video entry for the camera, and I suppose, if you can know what type of connector your camera has, you will know if it's possible.
I added a camera myself (pack for 29€, including a OBD bluetooth), I add to drop the rear bumper, it was dirty like hell and took 2 or 3h total, but the result is good ! (The cable run inside the bumper, then go inside by a hole (made myself) just under rear light secure "screw" in the trunk)
The camera is installed this way :
You can see the yellow video cable is pretty common. The 3+4 cables are the reversion cable. The 1+2 SHOULD have been connected to the rear light (to provide power), but in my case, and I don't know why, the main cable was already providing power ... So i didn't connect anything more than 3+4 and yellow video input.

For your unit, if your board look like this :
=> it should work. Beside that, if you have a CD player in the glovebox, it's the same pattern as me.

About the GPS : there is a GPS antenna provided with the autoradio. So you can use the GPS application directly on the autoradio (without connecting any phone). And if you are using Android Auto (or Carplay), it will use your phone's GPS.

Last edited:

Frostybear

Nov 7, 2023
Ireland
I didn't lose speakers because I duplicate the entry of the main speaker to the tweeter. It's not really "made for this", but it's working for me (I don't use my car as a "bass machine", so I don't recommand this if your are playing musique with a lot a bass, extra loud because the tweeter are not made for this, regular musique, even loud, are ok, just avoid dubstep XD).
Ah ok. I think that is fine, it will still be equal sound left and right!

I know there is a video entry for the camera, and I suppose, if you can know what type of connector your camera has, you will know if it's possible.
I added a camera myself (pack for 29€, including a OBD bluetooth), I add to drop the rear bumper, it was dirty like hell and took 2 or 3h total, but the result is good ! (The cable run inside the bumper, then go inside by a hole (made myself) just under rear light secure "screw" in the trunk)
My camera is pre-installed by Seat...but I must admit it is not very good. I don't think I want to reroute a new camera though sounds very tiring. I will check my wiring in the next few weeks when I get a chance, hopefully it is the same.

=> it should work. Beside that, if you have a CD player in the glovebox, it's the same pattern as me.
I actually have nothing in the glovebox and no CD player built in to the head unit either. So it is very slightly different to that picture.

Overall this seems like a much easier option than upgrading to a newer MIB, there are a couple of forum posts and it is very very complicated.
This is very simple in comparison.

Once I check the wiring on my car, I might buy one and try to install it, and I can add my experience to this post.

Akajou

Sep 13, 2023
Yes, I think first thing to do is check the cable and wiring you have for the camera and for the radio. If you have nothing in the glovebox, the plug will be just behing the radio (easier for you, because route the cable from the radio to the glovebox is a pain in the a**).

Frostybear

Nov 7, 2023
Ireland
Do you mind making a video of it working in your car? Show it turning on/off, and some of the features - android auto, speed of screen, radio, reversing camera etc.

I've done a bit of research, and there is a lot of different android head units available!!! Some cheap some expensive (100-500 euro range) that apparently fit the car. Some chinese head units are not much cheaper than other brands (Sony for example). But is so hard to tell how they are.

I do like the look of the junsun though, interesting that is has physical buttons.

Akajou

Sep 13, 2023
Do you mind making a video of it working in your car? Show it turning on/off, and some of the features - android auto, speed of screen, radio, reversing camera etc.

I've done a bit of research, and there is a lot of different android head units available!!! Some cheap some expensive (100-500 euro range) that apparently fit the car. Some chinese head units are not much cheaper than other brands (Sony for example). But is so hard to tell how they are.

I do like the look of the junsun though, interesting that is has physical buttons.
I can do that, I will try to do that next time I use the car.

There is many units available yes, I choose Junsun because it was cheap+good seller+good review.

Physical buttons in my case was to mimic the original one and keep the same look.

Akajou

Sep 13, 2023

I tried to film the better I could. But I could not use the connected phone to film, it was complicated, but there it is :
(ps : at the end, I tried to open Google maps without Internet connection, that's why it's blank)
And for waze :

Apr 2, 2024
First of all, english isn't my first language, so if there is any mistake, please, ignore them. Andid I did something wrong in my post, please tell me how to correct it.

Having a Seat Leon MK3 (2015), I wanted to change the car autoradio because it wasn't compatible with Android Auto. I was tired of having my phone hanging (a bit precariously) in front of my ventilation, very close to the steering wheel. When I received a quote from a professional for 900 euros, I nearly spat out my tea, and I went to look online.
I found this one (with a pretty nice seller, and some good reviews) : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005004046368482.html
Delivered from Poland, in less than a week, so no customs issues, and the package arrived on time (don't refer to the item name, the website translates English very poorly, it's indeed for a Leon (and not a Valentine?)). Following the seller's advice, I bought an extension cable (which I didn't need) because the power plug is behind the CD player, in the glove box.
I wanted to help people who, like me, might have struggled for several reasons:
The first reason is that you need to know that my Leon has a small label (hidden in the trunk or in the official maintenance booklet) with the mention "8RM".
This mention means it has 8 speakers: 4 large ones in each door + 4 tweeters (2 next to the rear door handles, and 2 in the windshield pillars). However, there are two other versions: the code "9DV" with the 4 in the doors + a subwoofer in the trunk + a central speaker under the windshield. And the last version is the "normal" version, with just the 4 door speakers. Of course, the seller I had chosen only supports the "normal" 4 speaker version. So, I searched on forums and in reviews everywhere to figure out what to do. I went to Seat to ask for the relevant wiring diagram, and I came up with this diagram.
I needed to reroute 2 to 9, 3 to 10, 6 to 13, and 7 to 14. Given the thinness of the cables provided with the autoradio, I chose to use these small cables (recovered from a basic car radio adapter at Norauto, for 6 euros (the cheapest)) :
To keep it simple, these are 2.8mm connectors (I think) that I will plug into holes 9, 10, 13, and 14. Then strip a little and connect them to the other mentioned connectors (without touching the wires, I wrap them around the base of the other connectors and tape it with electrical tape). There they are planted in their slot :
You need to be able to remove the destination connectors, and for that, you need to press a mini tab with a paperclip, for example :
And now with the reroute :
Once that's done, the fun (or not) part begins. You need to install the beast. Open the glove box (press the sides to get it out of its hinges and have a little more maneuvering room). Use the keys provided by the sell :
And unplug all the cables behind (some have tabs to push, and for the big cable (quadlock? something like that), you need to lift a plastic part behind, as if it were a handle. Once the main plug is free, you connect and test the car autoradio :
And it works, you turn it off, unplug it. Now, you need to remove the original car stereo (also with the same keys), then unplug the cables and push them to the back, you won't need them. You'll need to pass the cable spaghetti behind (I start with the CD player slot and pass it in that direction because passing the big quadlock plug is impossible). You can use a cable puller or the first USB cable lying around in the car. Also, remember to thread the GPS cable (which you can see in black on the right of the image), and the 2 cables that provide USB ports (which will go loose in my glove box) :
After all this, adjust the cables, reconnect (the small supplied CANBUS box, the CANBUS plug, the power plug, the GPS, the USB, all of this on the car autoradio). And push it into place. And there you have it ! Congrats !
https://i.imgur.com/LbJLli0.jpg (link because 10 pic max)
Then you need to make a few adjustments (time, theme, phone connection, etc). You can store the old car stereo and the CD player in the basement now !

My second reason I has worry about was about functionalities that wouldn't be supported, and the "only" one is that the "mode" button (driving mode) no longer allows you to select the mode, you have to use the touchscreen interface and go into driving settings. The rest of the buttons work, the steering wheel controls also work. So far, no issues. I don't have a rearview camera (but the front and rear proximity sensors are supported without a problem), but I'm thinking of adding one (even if reopening all that cable mess doesn't excite me).

I also have the wire plan if needed, I tried to explained it to the seller, maybe one day they will adapt ...
thank you for this guide! will try it this weekend. but I have the 10 loudspeaker setup with a subwoofer. hope I will get it to work

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.