Coolant Radiator Hose

xPeTeRx

Oct 20, 2021
Hi there,

I have a 2016 MK3 Leon, I was under the bonnet today and after removing the undertray, I noticed my coolant hose is like shown in the picture, its two hoses connected together.

Does this join need a clip? If yes, what sort of clip is needed to secure it?

Also when doing a coolant flush, do I just separate this join instead of disconnecting the hose that goes into the radiator?

Thanks for any responses I receive

20220310_155539.jpg

20220310_153008.jpg

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Hi there,

I have a 2016 MK3 Leon, I was under the bonnet today and after removing the undertray, I noticed my coolant hose is like shown in the picture, its two hoses connected together.

Does this join need a clip? If yes, what sort of clip is needed to secure it?

Also when doing a coolant flush, do I just separate this join instead of disconnecting the hose that goes into the radiator?

Thanks for any responses I receive

View attachment 30318
View attachment 30319
That is not a hose joint - so does not need to hose clip.
Can't tell from the photo - but could be some additional protection over the hose?
To drain the system you usually disconnect the lower rad hose. A metal spring clip and plastic elbow with rubber o-ring.
Why do you want to drain the system?
What engine is it?

Reactions: xPeTeRx

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Better to buy a new O-ring if taking any of these "quick fit" fitting off.

I'm guessing that you want to "walk away" from G13 and so change to G12evo due to concerns about G13 when used over a long service life.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
anyone know how to remove this type of clip?
It's like a large C shape spring clip. You would move it down looking at your photo - they have a recess to keep the spring clip located - so pull it out half way. Just using a screwdriver to gently tweak the clip. that spring clip you point to looks like its holding in the temp sensor. This is not the clip you remove to drain the coolant.

The reason I asked about the engine - is because TDI's need a cam belt change at 5 years - and when changing the cam belt you would also changed the coolant.

Reactions: xPeTeRx

xPeTeRx

Oct 20, 2021
thanks found a video and yeah that's right, I just pull the C clip up from the centre with a flat screwdriver and then pull the hose out, and when fitting it back ensure the clip is pushed down first then insert the hose so I hear a click that confirms the hose is properly seated.

Yes thats correct the clip in the image is for the temporary hose.

thanks for your help

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I might be wrong, but I've usually found that that type of retainer/clip needs fully removed before pulling the sensor out, and when fitting the sensor back in, you need to press the sensor down fully and hold it fully down in its recess and then refit the retainer/clip.

Edit:- I'm guessing by the oil filter part number that it is a TSI engine.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.