Cooling fans not switching off...

poppydoodlesdad

Feb 6, 2012
I've got a bit of an issue with the cooling fans (I believe there are two) on my Altea 1.6 Reference Sport '57 plate, not switch off and running the battery dead.

Started yesterday, wife said she could hear a noise from the car some while after she had got back home. Sure enough the smaller of the two fans was still running a couple of hours after the car had been switched off. I know they tend to run after the ignition is off but not for this long.

When I tried to restart there was just enough battery to get her going. Took it out and drove round long enough to bring it back up to temperature, parked up, all seemed fine.

Went back out MUCH later and fan was going. Not enough battery to restart, so I have charged battery and will put it back on and see what happens.

As a bit of background, before lockdown I was using the car daily, and it had started running cold on longer distances, as if the thermostat was sticking open.

I'm now wondering if there's a potential sensor issue elsewhere?

Can anyone suggest any ways to maybe narrow down the problem or things to try before I resort to the garage?

Thanks

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Hi check the coolant temp sensor plug to see if it’s plugged in or the wiring damaged. On mine the fans stayed on when this was unplugged.

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Hi check the coolant temp sensor plug to see if it’s plugged in or the wiring damaged. On mine the fans stayed on when this was unplugged.
Also going back to what you said yes it definitely sounds like you need a thermostat replaced solving the temp problem.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I’ve had cars were when the fan sensor failed the fans ran all the time-from initial start even when cold-but not after being switched off and flattening the battery, can pull the relay and try another in it’s place.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise