Creaking door seals

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
Just wondering if anyone has found a permanent solution for the creaking door seal issue yet?

I thought that I had cracked it a few weeks ago when I cleaned all the rubber seals and corresponding painted sealing faces with glass cleaner.

It was near freezing outside and I suspect that what actually happened was that the rubber firmed up as the temperature dropped and stopped the doors from moving in the door aperture when closed.

With the mild weather that we have had for the past few days with temperatures above 12C all the doors have started creaking like *******s again.

Does anyone know if there is a SEAT technical bulletin to replace the seals with new parts made from a harder rubber?

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Thanks for the kind offer. I actually used Gummipflege on mine but it seemed to make it worse, hence the sessions with panel wipe/glass cleaner to try and remove it.

An old trick for well aged door seals on the original Mazda MX-5 was to insert a piece of round profile foam. Might give this a go before splashing out on a set of new door seals.

Last edited:

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
a light dusting with talc may help. will also help the inside of your car smell like my grannies house :)

I remember when bicycle puncture repair kits were supplied with a lump of French chalk and a grater on the tin, to stop the repair patch from sticking to the inside of the tyre.

Surely the talc/chalk will wash off when the seals get wet though?

Jay280

Oct 7, 2015
I work at a Mercedes Benz truck and van dealer and there was a similar problem with the side sliding door seals on the Vito. There was a service measure of applying a silicone rubber dressing that came in an aerosol spray. You would think Seat would do something similar. Has anyone asked at their dealer? Failing that if it's bothering u that much find your nearest MB van dealership and get them to order u a tin. Sorry don't know what sort of price it is.

Winder123

Aug 10, 2015
North West
I went to seat about this, all they did was clean it, put some slick on it and said that when I clean the car, try not get polish or anything on it, instead just lube it up with anything oil based , so from then on a used good old WD40 on the seals and it stops the creaking and stays for about 2 months (in damp / wet weather) before needing to be wiped clean and re applied, they never even hinted at a recall for changing parts for this

Gib83

Neeow!!
Mar 3, 2007
Sheffield
I've just cleaned the car and cleaned all the seals with an APC and the creaking is all but gone. It's gone from highly irritating to tolerable.

Bubbs

Jul 18, 2013
That creaking noise drove me crazy on mine through the summer - thought it was the door cards doing it, until one day I thought 'actually... might be the doors flexing against the bodywork'.

Anyhow - I found that using a quick spray with Dodo Juice red mist and a wipe over (of the door aperture, not the rubber itself) made the noises stop. In terms of the seals, I didn't really do much at all other than just wipe them over too. That Silicon lubricant stuff should help too - problem is, if you make the rubber too 'squeaky' then it'll make the issue even worse.

tomstacey

SEATed conformably
Aug 10, 2011
Have you guys tried Dupont Krytox? It worked wonders on my Boxster's squeeky roof seals. VW sell it for the EOS...

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.