Cruise Control Stalk, from 2 to 3 paddles?

Aug 23, 2021
Hello there, I have just registered to this forum and already have a question! Sorry for my approximate english, as a French it is not my motter tongue.
I have just bought a Leon MK3 Xperience from 2017, the car is very good for me, but coming from a 2010 Audi A3 there is one thing which annoys me : the cruise control is on the stalk, and its operative is not practical as what I am used to.
I explain : you cannot set the speed you want to keep before activating the cruise control. Neither you can increase/decrease the speed value in 10km/h increments (sorry no miles here!).
And more importantly : there is no dedicated paddle for the cruise control, there are only 2 paddles, not 3.

So first question : can I change from this part (probably P/N 5Q0953507GD as I do not have checked the precise reference of my car, but it look like this) :
000001382674.jpeg

to this kind of stalk (P/N 5Q0953507GT), of course the steering lower cover will have to be replaced accordingly :
000000798470.jpeg

I suppose that it will need a bit of coding (I am used to VCDS from my old car, but have not checked if it is compatible with this one yet).
I am pretty confident about the « hardware » side of things, maybe some pins will have to be moved from the plugs, or the plugs transposed between parts. But my main concern is the coding : will it works?

I have not found any retrofit of this kind in this forum, nor with Google, so any help will be a huge one! Thanks!

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
Hi and welcome, I'm not very technical, but I think you can change the speed in speed increments of 5 I believe if you hold the button for longer.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
I've got the 3 paddle version in my Cupra and I hate it.

It's in such an awkward place that you cannot see what is on it without looking under the steering wheel.
It's obscured so much that I actually forget that I have it.

So yes you can change it but I do not know if there is any wiring to be done, there will most certainly be some coding.

Aug 23, 2021
Yes, this last one (for lane assist) is the one I might install (although I will not use the button), but I have also seen pictures of stalk with 3 paddles and no line assist.
i know some of us do not like the 3 paddles, but I really love this interface. You can « pause » (Cancel) the cruise control than « restore » it… in a flick of a paddle. I find that really more convenient than the tiny switch or buttons on the stalk.
I would have expected that by replacing the 2 parts, and with an adjustment on VCDS I would be able to switch from 2 to 3 paddles. But I cannot find any previous attempts on the internet, just people retrofitting the ACC

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
Yes, this last one (for lane assist) is the one I might install (although I will not use the button), but I have also seen pictures of stalk with 3 paddles and no line assist.
i know some of us do not like the 3 paddles, but I really love this interface. You can « pause » (Cancel) the cruise control than « restore » it… in a flick of a paddle. I find that really more convenient than the tiny switch or buttons on the stalk.
I would have expected that by replacing the 2 parts, and with an adjustment on VCDS I would be able to switch from 2 to 3 paddles. But I cannot find any previous attempts on the internet, just people retrofitting the ACC
Unless I have missed something translation, you can "You can « pause » (Cancel) the cruise control than « restore » it… in a flick of a paddle. I find that really more convenient than the tiny switch or buttons on the stalk." with the two paddle system

ReddStripe

Jul 23, 2019
Lincolnshire
This swap should work fine. Unlikely to require any wiring changes if you already have cruise control. You might need to swap the central ring over from your current part though. There will be some coding changes required in the steering module to tell the module you have the driver assistance button and a separate stalk for cruise control:

1. Driver Assistance Button (the button you keep calling Lane Assist button)- Set to “Installed”. If you end up getting stalks without the button leave it as “Not Installed”.

2. CCS on turn signal - Set to “Not installed”.

3. CCS switch - Set to “Installed”.

Changes 2 and 3 above create the coding difference between the extra paddle for cruise control and not having it. Change 1 simply tells the car if the have the button for Driver Assist features or not. All Leon’s with a radar have Driver Assist anyway so it will not be a useless button if you end up getting stalks with it as it will take you to the menu to turn off the collision warnings etc.

Aug 23, 2021
Hey, thanks for this precise (and very positive!) answer.
I aleeady have the cruise control yes. And I have the park sensors front and rear, so it seems the new button will have a usage, good!
One thing is black magic for me : the « coding » of the new ring. I have made some changes in VCDS, I also reset the service settings, but coding from new is another thing. Do I just need to put the coding from the previous part (which I can obtain from the auto-scan)?

ReddStripe

Jul 23, 2019
Lincolnshire
Parking sensors are different to the radar in the front lower grill of the car. That one detects a collision and tells you if you’re driving too close to the car in front. If you’re going to crash it will make the car brake (not sure that has ever been tested though). The Driver Assist Button will allow you to turn off the active monitoring for collision warnings. It won’t allow you to alter the parking sensors. But finding stalks with it without this button is not going to cause headaches because the coding of it is very simple. If you don’t have the radar in the front bumper then the button will not work and stayed coded as not installed.

Swapping the stalks does not require any major coding. There is no coding in the stalks themselves. They are just a set of buttons and levers. So if you swapped the same stalks like for like you wouldn’t need to alter the coding. If you use VCDS then you will use the long coding helper to make the changes which will be a minimum of two changes as stated above.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.