Cupra 280/290 real world mpg

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
I can imagine that this has probably been covered in another thread somewhere, so apologies if this is duplicate. Point me to another thread if so!

I was just wondering what mpg could I expect from a used (as in engine has already bedded in etc) 280/290.

I do around 16,000 miles a year (I know), 70% will be motorway driving (I know), so with that in mind, how much could I realistically expect to get?

In my 2015 1.2TSI I average around 45-50mpg doing this journey with moderate traffic (M62).

Any help/guidance would be appreciated - And before anyone says "Get a diesel", please don't

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect_g

Jul 24, 2016
I do minimum the same yearly mileage as you and see absolutely no reason to go back from the Cupra to diesel - you will not regret it..

You can use the search function - there is a thread with people posting what they get. I would expect anything from 8 km/l to 12 km/l depending on driving style. Averaging 45-50 mpg in a 1.2 tsi I would expect that you would do significantly better than me in the Cupra and I do 270-300 miles on a tank of 50 l in everyday driving.

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
I do minimum the same yearly mileage as you and see absolutely no reason to go back from the Cupra to diesel - you will not regret it..

You can use the search function - there is a thread with people posting what they get. I would expect anything from 8 km/l to 12 km/l depending on driving style. Averaging 45-50 mpg in a 1.2 tsi I would expect that you would do significantly better than me in the Cupra and I do 270-300 miles on a tank of 50 l in everyday driving.

That's not too bad at all! It's costing me about £47 a week for fuel with my mileage so I'm guesstimating that it'll probably increase to about £60 maybe? That's bearable!

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
Probably about 35 mpg if you cruise at 70 mph

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

The small portions of my commute which I can actually get to 70mph that is

There's quite a large stretch of 50mph zones and a couple of miles either side of the motorway of country lanes/city centre driving too.

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
I was in a similar predicament doing 20k per annum and still am. I went from a 220ps BMW 125d which did about 42 mpg to the Cupra which does about 35 mpg on a run over 20 miles on a and B roads. Sticking to 70 on the motorway it will do 40. Over 16k miles it has averaged 33 mpg, driven hard when safe to do so.

It's a fairly economical car for the performance. Even doing 20k a year I would never consider going back to a 'performance' diesel. As effective as some diesels are in the real world, there is no excitement and the cost savings are really quite insignificant. Plus I can see the government hammering diesels over the next decade.

It all depends on how hard you drive it. Driven sensibly with the flow of traffic you should see mid to high 30,s when out of town, run of 98 Ron+ fuel.

I was concerned that the mpg would be woeful, but I don't notice any real extra cost, given that servicing is cheap.

The one real cost is tyres! My fronts last about 8k and you must buy premium tyres for this car.

Hope that helps.

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
I was in a similar predicament doing 20k per annum and still am. I went from a 220ps BMW 125d which did about 42 mpg to the Cupra which does about 35 mpg on a run over 20 miles on a and B roads. Sticking to 70 on the motorway it will do 40. Over 16k miles it has averaged 33 mpg, driven hard when safe to do so.

It's a fairly economical car for the performance. Even doing 20k a year I would never consider going back to a 'performance' diesel. As effective as some diesels are in the real world, there is no excitement and the cost savings are really quite insignificant. Plus I can see the government hammering diesels over the next decade.

It all depends on how hard you drive it. Driven sensibly with the flow of traffic you should see mid to high 30,s when out of town, run of 98 Ron+ fuel.

I was concerned that the mpg would be woeful, but I don't notice any real extra cost, given that servicing is cheap.

The one real cost is tyres! My fronts last about 8k and you must buy premium tyres for this car.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the input madhatter, I've also been looking into and test drove both a 125d and a Golf GTD, they're very refined, well equipped and torquey as expected but there was just no spark, I felt bored just from the test drive.

However, with the Cupra I left wanting more as many others say on this forum! Not to mention it is equally well refined and well equipped as standard. And yes, the servicing costs are very good also!

Point taken regarding the tyres!

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
I'd probably work it out on miles per tank, rather than mpg. I think, overall, you should get 300-330 with your type of usage. Full tank is around £60 for Shell V-Power. I think you'll be doing around 330 a week to hit 16,000 over 48 weeks, with 4 weeks off. £60 a week should do you then.

Last edited:

Deleted member 103408

I can imagine that this has probably been covered in another thread somewhere, so apologies if this is duplicate. Point me to another thread if so!

I was just wondering what mpg could I expect from a used (as in engine has already bedded in etc) 280/290.

I do around 16,000 miles a year (I know), 70% will be motorway driving (I know), so with that in mind, how much could I realistically expect to get?

In my 2015 1.2TSI I average around 45-50mpg doing this journey with moderate traffic (M62).

Any help/guidance would be appreciated - And before anyone says "Get a diesel", please don't

The cupra is a chameleon it can be a comfortable long distance cruiser with good economy or it can be a beast, your driving pattern decides which and when.

I get around 25 - 28 mpg but my car is not standard and i use the power a lot.
Tires (if you want to use the power) are not cheap (but they keep you safe and on the road) just replaced two front ones at £175-00 per tire but they are worth it (can use the power in wet and dry and stop the car)

The other thing is the car comes with Drive, Sport and Economy settings for the engine / gearbox (on a dsg) along with manual control but the various options all impact fuel economy (good and bad).

Bottom line you can get reasonable fuel economy (steady driving in economy mode) or (like me) you get lots of power but drink fuel (Shell V Power Nitro+). I also love the cruise control but from a mpg perspective you can do better with manual driving.

Enjoy the car if you get one

With regards to madhatters comments on 8k for a set of tyres this does appear to be dependant on the tire you buy (and the way your drive) but I would expect to get 14k on a set of super sport Michelin tires but see other threads on that subject.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.