Cupra 280 DSG 'farts'/'crack' - how to get it louder?

DGF264

Jul 15, 2010
County Durham
As title really guys.

What causes the DSG 'fart'/'crack' (like the science bit lol)
and... I've heard some cars on the up shift making an amazing 'crack' noise. How is that achieved??

Exhaust? Decat? Turbo back etc? Love the noise, just wanna hear it more

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
all to do with the exhaust my friend, I've got turbo back on mine and it sounds like a BTCC Sequential box when shifting really twangs.

I'm not a science guy but I think it might be unburn fuel that causes it.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
all to do with the exhaust my friend, I've got turbo back on mine and it sounds like a BTCC Sequential box when shifting really twangs.

I'm not a science guy but I think it might be unburn fuel that causes it.
Am now awaiting the 'how do you turn it off because I want to get better fuel consumption' posts from the lentilist sandal wearers...... :D

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
I always thought it was ignition retard to aid the quick change that caused it. Surely an exhaust and more boost/power (remap!!) will help

DGF264

Jul 15, 2010
County Durham
Cheers Andrew... That's what I'm after.. That loud crack! So are we saying as free flowing as possible turbo back? Decat as well maybe? At the minute I have a custom centre section to OE back box & it's definitely more audible - just want it louder lol! Best start saving then!! Haha

DGF264

Jul 15, 2010
County Durham
Next question - Andrew I believe you said 'no' to this. But can I just put a decat/downpipe on the car without a map? Anyone running just a full TB back or just a decat on these WITHOUT a map? (I know it'll throw an EML, but a lambda spacer usually solves that) Anyone?

mx5

Apr 26, 2014
Ireland
I know it's a different car, but on my Ibiza cupra I took out the enter resonator box and the cracks became much better. Porsches can switch it on with a dash button, I think it's more a map than exhaust solution. Mercs amg 45 does similar.

DGF264

Jul 15, 2010
County Durham
Mx5 I've already got a custom centre section with smaller sports box in & S bend box delete - then into the OE back box it has improved it some what... I'm just wanting it louder lol. Full turbo back and stage 2 I think... Haha skip stage 1 lol

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Next question - Andrew I believe you said 'no' to this. But can I just put a decat/downpipe on the car without a map? Anyone running just a full TB back or just a decat on these WITHOUT a map? (I know it'll throw an EML, but a lambda spacer usually solves that) Anyone?

Mine ran like a bit of a dog, I read online before fitting mine the TSI don't like bolts ons as well so it was to be expected.

zondaff

Mar 8, 2015
Surrey
The fart up shift is from mapping in the ecu to create more back pressure in the exhaust thus creating a loud pop when unburnt fuel mixed with clever mapping cause the sound

Your best bet to increased sound on upshifts is removing the middle silencer of the exhaust to make it more like the 290 exhaust, this will give you a louder sound.

Last edited:

DGF264

Jul 15, 2010
County Durham
Cheers Zondaff - and unless my car is one a kind, you'll be surprised how quiet it is with the S bend 'middle' silencer removed... I've already done it lol. And the first silencer, the hugeeee long triangular one, I've had a shorter sports box put in, then onto the OE back box does improve the sound until I get a turbo back on haha - but still not the 'crack' I want lol

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.