Cupra 290 Stage 1 in for warranty work. Hire car experience in a mk3 facelift 1tsi ec

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Well just as I'm about to go on holiday camping in Wales, my car decided to make a knocking noise. Obviously being a baby at 12 months old it for one of those VAG techs to come around.

Had to do all the usual stuff be for it went in to Seat, flash the original file back on turn the car on and off several times. And whilst it was in seat took great pleasure in telling me I needed 2 new PZeros for them to legally test drive the car at £40 extra per tyre then what I can buy them for.

Well I can't moan a lot about the ecomotive if one call it motivated that is. 0 to 60 in about half a minute very sluggish at getting any where next to 60, vetoing to 30 it's great at though.

Mpg watching becomes the funnest thing you can do in it the best I got out of it was pretty impressive at 52 usually costs me about 30 quid to get to shell island in my cupra as compared to 10 quid, and it's the only car I've ever seen do this, as I was trying to floor it from 60mph to what ever I could in 6th gear the MPG as my pedal was to the floor actually rose instead of going down. That being said I was unable to overtake a single car even with riding the clutch for the adding take off grunt felt dangerous really as I didn't know what it was and wasn't capable of.

That all being said it was a facelift so had some of the new features on the car, firstly I don't like the look of the cupra facelift it feels like it's been done backwards, compare it to the golf R facelift I.e they lost the fog lights made the car look loads more complete but it makes the eco look a lot better.

Bigger screen, yeah not to sure if this is really worth it, I mean the screen is obviously bigger but your looking all hour short cut keys and having them replaced with 2 if would of probably been cheaper and easier just chucking a Samsung tab 10 A1 in. Screen resolution is still the same so looks worse in my opinion as it's gotten bigger it's easier to see pixels.

The electronic handbrake. Never been one for these what so ever. And I can't say I can recommend it either. First thoughts it's look cheap and nasty I don't know how much there saving with this simple little piss flap button it looks cheap as hell, annoying to use too. Managed to use it while the car was doing 15 mph so simulated brake failure at 15mph Jesus ****ing Christ, there's no inbetween it's full on full off pretty shocking tbf I can't really say if it works after that though daren't try it always thought it's just technogly for the sake of it absolutely stupid **** hand brake.

But after all of that I've got to say the Leon as a hole us one fantastic FWD car the chassis on it unjust brilliant, even with this boat like set up of suspension lack of dampeners and 65mm thick tyres on it you can still ping into to bend and it copes well it's really made me appreciate the car as a design and not just model trim.

And of course appreciate my cupra a lot more now ad being driven day to day it does get to become the norm.

Well that's me put any way I think it's time for some breakfast now

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
The electronic handbrake. Never been one for these what so ever. And I can't say I can recommend it either. First thoughts it's look cheap and nasty I don't know how much there saving with this simple little piss flap button it looks cheap as hell, annoying to use too. Managed to use it while the car was doing 15 mph so simulated brake failure at 15mph Jesus ****ing Christ, there's no inbetween it's full on full off pretty shocking tbf I can't really say if it works after that though daren't try it always thought it's just technogly for the sake of it absolutely stupid **** hand brake.

Put the handbrake into auto and forget about it. When you stop the handbrake is applied, pull away and it releases. Couldn't be simpler.....lol

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
When you say 'Shell Island' do you mean the place just up from Barmouth? Lovely place but have you checked it is still open? I read a couple of months ago that there was an issue with emergency access as Llanbedr airfield had changed hands and wasn't confirming if they would allow access if the tide was in for ambulances etc. There was talk of the council having to revoke the sites licence. Haven't heard any more though.

Last edited:

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Put the handbrake into auto and forget about it. When you stop the handbrake is applied, pull away and it releases. Couldn't be simpler.....lol

I've got hill start assist in my 290 the issue is not having a manual handbrake.

I'll never own one or a keyless system

If my brakes fail on track at 150 the electronic handbrake is senseless it's just more things to go wrong as as I've just retested it at 30mph there's no slightly slow down it goes fully on, and same for keyless I like to be able to kill the engine if it gets stuck in gear on a dsg box.

Not saying it isn't simple just saying it could be deadly

And yes that lovely place shell island is still open i dont think it coupd evwr be closed tbh, its way to popular and places like barmouth rely heavily on the tourist.

the issue is with the air field you can always get on to the island with acces through that but since its gone private and now owned by the RAF they where debating not allowing emergency vehicles through on high tide.

ive gotta also say the guy that owns it is a bit simple a day in which no planes landed or took off he didnt let me pay him 50 quid to have a blast down it but the again i am ratger childish

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise