Cupra 300 Turbo Failure

Dec 19, 2019
Had my EPC light and check engine light come on a month or so ago when cold starting the car, had to get to work so drove it carefully and noticed that after I'd pulled in to grab a coffee on my way the lights disappeared when restarting the car, so thought maybe it was a cold start issue. Meant to book it in to get looked at but the lights didn't come back so forgot.

Fast forward to last week and they back back on and wouldn't go off restarting the car once it was warm, took it in to our local cupra garage and a £120 diagnostic fee later, got told it was a turbo failure and a replacement turbo was £2500 incl parts and labour.

Drove the car home but haven't driven it since, trying to work out what to do. The car is a 67 plate and out of warranty but has only done 32000 miles, so I'm obviously a bit upset that it's failed with such low mileage. Was wondering if anyone had had a similar issue or had any suggestions on what to do?

Ricky88

Mar 17, 2022
Hi mate,
Sorry to hear about your car troubles. It may be worth getting a second opinion from an independent garage, dealers often go for the nuclear option straight away in my opinion.

If it is indeed a knackered turbo I'm sure you could get your unit rebuilt or exchanged for a rebuilt unit for less than £2500.

You could go hybrid turbo if that's your sort of thing?

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
I would get second opinion from independent garage... £2500 seems a lot for Is38 turbo anyway.

After diagnosing did they say what is wrong with it apart from it needs new turbo?

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Dec 19, 2019
Thank you both for your suggestions, think I'll take it to a good independent near me, does anyone know of one in the Suffolk / East Anglia area?

I tried to press the service guy on what exactly was wrong with the turbo but he wouldn't say much beyond it was knackered, which got red flags flying for me! I think they've probably just plugged it in, grabbed the codes and then said turbos knackered, doesn't seem like they've done any investigation beyone that.

QTom

Sep 22, 2017
Have the same issue now. I'm being told the turbo actuator is sticking and the entire thing has to be replaced for about £2500 for a genuine SEAT one or £1900 for an aftermarket one.

Called a SEAT dealer to ask them and they confirmed on my car the actuator alone cant be replaced and it has to be the entire unit for £2600 with them.

Seems ridiculous, what did you do in the end?

rdraheim

Jul 18, 2023
I would read this thread and the threads within as they're quite relevant ...

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members