Cupra Ateca 2024 changes from 21

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
Enjoying new car.

One issue is that it does not stay in Cupra mode but changes back to comfort when starting up.
Noticed that happens in wifes Seat Ibiza.

Wondered if the engine profile has changed as gear changes and downshift for acceleration feel better
Maybe just new car.feel.

CosmicBlue

Enjoying retirement
Nov 25, 2023
Warwick, UK
So much software in a modern car and it seems to be a moving target too, I drive mine in Comfort mode virtually all the time, is plenty quick enough for me. Mine is a '23 plate, had 1500 miles on it when I picked it up in January this year, now at 4,300 it is proving to be a fun vehicle to drive and surprisingly rapid, especially in-gear roll-on acceleration..

So much software in a modern car and it seems to be a moving target too, I drive mine in Comfort mode virtually all the time, is plenty quick enough for me. Mine is a '23 plate, had 1500 miles on it when I picked it up in January this year, now at 4,300 it is proving to be a fun vehicle to drive and surprisingly rapid, especially in-gear roll-on acceleration..
By moving target do you mean target for attack?

If so, that's the purpose of the diagnostic firewall - nothing can happen with the bonnet shut and the firewall. Not often you drive with the bonnet open so no worries there

It's also the purpose of SFD2, as unlike SFD1 it won't be possible for the general public to unlock

UNECE WP.29 makes for a good toilet read 😂

Tell

Staff member
Enjoying new car.

One issue is that it does not stay in Cupra mode but changes back to comfort when starting up.
Noticed that happens in wifes Seat Ibiza.

Wondered if the engine profile has changed as gear changes and downshift for acceleration feel better
Maybe just new car.feel.
They did something similar to the economy mode ìn the standard Ateca. The original 2017 model would stick in mode. A lot of people were driving their diesels around in ECO mode and wondering why the regeneration was active... high revs were not being achieved. A year later they all got updated, petrol and diesel to get them to revert back out of normal mode. Probably something similar they think its good for the engine, consumption etc.

Tell

Staff member
By moving target do you mean target for attack?

If so, that's the purpose of the diagnostic firewall - nothing can happen with the bonnet shut and the firewall. Not often you drive with the bonnet open so no worries there

It's also the purpose of SFD2, as unlike SFD1 it won't be possible for the general public to unlock

UNECE WP.29 makes for a good toilet read 😂
Sure the after market won't be happy and the dongle manufactures. Vag will see an income stream as they did with SFD1 to license that out unless it's strictly illegal in EU law.

Bahnstormer_vRS

Oct 28, 2021
^^^^ I noticed the same when I switched from a 70 plate MY21 to 23 plate MY23 CUPRA Ateca back in August last year. The drive profile defaults to Comfort on each startup.

I wonder though if it is something that is legislation driven as I've recently had the (dubious) pleasure of driving a Mercedes GLB 200 for a month and that too would default to the Comfort setting on each startup.

Another thing I noticed on my Ateca is the DCC seems to have been recalibrated.

Previously, Sport was really quite firm, and Cupra was rock hard, to the point it was unusable on a day to day basis. It was more of a Track Day setting.

Something seems to have changed as Cupra is still really firm but seems more compliant to the point it is usable on a daily basis i.e. Fast Road.

Guy

Sent from my Galaxy S23 Ultra using Tapatalk

Reactions: Oldboy racer

CosmicBlue

Enjoying retirement
Nov 25, 2023
Warwick, UK
^^^^ I noticed the same when I switched from a 70 plate MY21 to 23 plate MY23 CUPRA Ateca back in August last year. The drive profile defaults to Comfort on each startup.

I wonder though if it is something that is legislation driven as I've recently had the (dubious) pleasure of driving a Mercedes GLB 200 for a month and that too would default to the Comfort setting on each startup.

Another thing I noticed on my Ateca is the DCC seems to have been recalibrated.

Previously, Sport was really quite firm, and Cupra was rock hard, to the point it was unusable on a day to day basis. It was more of a Track Day setting.

Something seems to have changed as Cupra is still really firm but seems more compliant to the point it is usable on a daily basis i.e. Fast Road.

Guy

Interesting post!

I suspect the default to 'Comfort' is linked to the WLTP regulations because that would be a consistent baseline for measurement. I drive mine (VZ2) in Comfort most of the time (66 years old and hooligan days are over:rolleyes:) and note that the quoted 32mpg is easily achievable (there's a novelty!), and its actually capable of mid 30s too.

Before I got mine back at the end of January I'd watched several reviews that cited the rock-hard ride in Cupra mode, and like you found it to be pretty reasonable - it isn't just my car.

Reactions: Bahnstormer_vRS

Bahnstormer_vRS

Oct 28, 2021
@CosmicBlue

To respond to a couple of your comments;-

Fuel consumption; my average over the 6k miles I've had the car so far is 27-28mpg according to the data on CUPRA Connect. In my defence to such a low figure, I do a lot of Urban running with only occasional runs when I can get 32-33mpg.

I didn't buy a 300PS sports SUV with economy in mind. 😉 😉

Suspension / DCC; routinely I'll run in Sport but defer to Comfort with passengers on board when I'm chauffeuring on Community Transport duty. Except, if I'm on the motorway when I find the ride in Comfort on the floaty side, so I switch to Sport, which has more body control.

Cupra is for solo brisk driving.

Guy

CosmicBlue

Enjoying retirement
Nov 25, 2023
Warwick, UK
No defence required Guy.

As I've posted previously I had an RSQ3 stolen last year, the 5 pot engine (EA855 EVO as found in the Formentor VZ5) has loads of character and was genuinely fun to drive with an epic aural sound track to go with it (with a voracious thirst for fuel and tyres). The 300PS Ateca is undoubtedly quick but the EA888 lump is short of aural delights so I tend not to drive it hard - Comfort is OK. The Ateca is a fine vehicle - I've described it as 'honest' in that it isn't trying to be something it clearly isn't - there is much to like and I'll keep it long-term.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members