Cupra Ateca newbie

dorsetlad

Nov 7, 2014
Hi, new to the forum, but not new to Seat. I've had 3 Leon's currently 2018 FR, with 17Kmiles, so time to look for something new. Fancy a Cupra Ateca, primarily due to back issues with the FR being low, a twist and the back goes, so something a little taller is needed. I've spent all weekend with a Cupra Ateca 1.5 on all types of road, and enjoyed most things, but I found that it is sluggish, when needing to apply some power to overtake between 50 - 60mph. This meant running it in Sport mode to try and get round this but I'm not convinced even in that mode it really has the get up and go I so enjoy with my FR. So, given there is the Cupra 2L 190ps, I'm wondering whether to go for that, as when I travel the car is often full of 4-5 persons, and I'm unsure quite how well the 1.5l will really be an enjoyable drive. Thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tell

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Hi, new to the forum, but not new to Seat. I've had 3 Leon's currently 2018 FR, with 17Kmiles, so time to look for something new. Fancy a Cupra Ateca, primarily due to back issues with the FR being low, a twist and the back goes, so something a little taller is needed. I've spent all weekend with a Cupra Ateca 1.5 on all types of road, and enjoyed most things, but I found that it is sluggish, when needing to apply some power to overtake between 50 - 60mph. This meant running it in Sport mode to try and get round this but I'm not convinced even in that mode it really has the get up and go I so enjoy with my FR. So, given there is the Cupra 2L 190ps, I'm wondering whether to go for that, as when I travel the car is often full of 4-5 persons, and I'm unsure quite how well the 1.5l will really be an enjoyable drive. Thoughts.
Welcome to SCN, I tried the Ateca before I decided to buy the new Leon, and the 2L is the only one that would compare, so I think the 1.5 is too slow.

Reactions: dorsetlad

Tell

Staff member
Welcome to the board and the back issue club. The Ateca is good on the back. Being tall I've always had back issues since my 20s. Went for the Altea Sport when it was launched, very good for the back. Got the regular Ateca Xcellence 2.0 TDI when it was launched too. Not sluggish. Good for the back as far as the Xcellence leather seating but not as good as the Altea Sport seats.

It's a good bucket seat you need which hold you in so no lateral movement on corners and a high seating. I always say for backache you need office desk chair type uprighg seating. Hence the Altea MPV offered that to me rather than lounge seating I have in my previous Citroen.

Wait till you get sciatica a further level up in back issues. Definitely you don't want any latural movement in cornering else you are in agony when it's at it's height and that nerve has popped out.

I suspect the Cupra Ateca seats are a next level up to the original Seat Ateca Xcellence leather bucket seats. Power wise, I don't have an issue and the turbo in the diesel kicks in and you just go at roundabouts. DSG, cant be bothered with gears. Thats another issue with getting old for some arm ache and the inability to find the gears. I've never had that but known others that opted for a DSG for that reason.

Top view / 360 for parking I recommend makes life easy. Blind spot / rear cross and the virtual pedal all make for a good experience on the backache front. Reduces, twisting and bending.

CosmicBlue

Enjoying retirement
Nov 25, 2023
Warwick, UK
I had the 1.5 in an Audi A1 which is a lot smaller than the Ateca and it was slow in that - 150 bhp is not really enough grunt to drag a 1.5 ton+ compact SUV like the Ateca around. Economical, probably, fun is unlikely.

I considered the 190 Ateca but opted for the 300 version, the seats are excellent and the 400nm of torque makes for an effortless driving experience, sluggish it is not.

Tell

Staff member
The main thing is will the car grab the space on the roundabout before the one hurtling from the right gets it. TDI in full blast will in DSG mode although once started best not to change your mind. Still with EVs we can forget about DSGs as indeed petrol and diesel.

Reactions: Seastormer
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.