Cupra Ateca - stuck in Sports mode?

pghern

Jun 13, 2023
Hi,
Cupra Ateca 2022 - appears to be stuck in Sports Mode. I normally leave in Comfort Mode. Yesterday I noted that the gears changes were hanging on and would not change higher that 5th at speeds to 70kph.
Once I get to 75 or 80 kph it will change to 6th but never goes to 7th.
Have tried selecting different modes then changing back to Comfort.
Also note that the idle speed is now around 1300 rpm and Auto on-off is not functioning.

Any clues?
Is there a simple system reset function I could try?
Thanks
Peter

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Manufacture error? Can you take it back to dealer for investigation? Do you have an OBD scanning tool?

pghern

Jun 13, 2023
Manufacture error? Can you take it back to dealer for investigation? Do you have an OBD scanning tool?
Dealer can't /won't look at it for 3 weeks! No, I don't have OBD scanning tool . Are they expensive?

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Dealer can't /won't look at it for 3 weeks! No, I don't have OBD scanning tool . Are they expensive?
Not particularly. If you’re thinking of sticking with VAG cars it’s a good investment. You can do various scans and modifications to your cars. I’ve got OBDEleven. Do you know anyone locally who has one you could borrow?

pghern

Jun 13, 2023
Hi,
Cupra Ateca 2022 - appears to be stuck in Sports Mode. I normally leave in Comfort Mode. Yesterday I noted that the gears changes were hanging on and would not change higher that 5th at speeds to 70kph.
Once I get to 75 or 80 kph it will change to 6th but never goes to 7th.
Have tried selecting different modes then changing back to Comfort.
Also note that the idle speed is now around 1300 rpm and Auto on-off is not functioning.

Any clues?
Is there a simple system reset function I could try?
Thanks
Peter
So this afternoon I was on the highway and found that it would change to 7th gear at around 86kph.
I tried changing modes and then set Individual mode to Eco. No change.
20 minutes later I reversed into the garage at home and when I stopped, the rpm dropped to "normal" about 900 and the auto stop-start was activated!
Turned off, waited a few minutes, then restated - all ok now!
Stuffed if I know - intermittent faults - ahhhh!!

Oct 20, 2022
Melbourne, Australia
So this afternoon I was on the highway and found that it would change to 7th gear at around 86kph.
I tried changing modes and then set Individual mode to Eco. No change.
20 minutes later I reversed into the garage at home and when I stopped, the rpm dropped to "normal" about 900 and the auto stop-start was activated!
Turned off, waited a few minutes, then restated - all ok now!
Stuffed if I know - intermittent faults - ahhhh!!
Hi mate, wondering if this has surfaced again and if there are any other updates? I have this exact issue (except my start/stop works) on my Leon, with the 221kw/300hp engine (I assume the same as you). The speeds and RPMs are basically identical as you’ve described

I’ve been searching for a while and haven’t found any others with this issue. Mines been in for an inspection and they couldn’t find anything… it’s an intermittent issue, happens a few weeks at a time for me!

Tell

Staff member
Question is whether it shows S for sport or D for drive (normal). SCR will also keep the revs up. Could be that. That one is noticeable and goes keep the engine in a low gear. That is a passive regeneration rather than the active one.

Oct 20, 2022
Melbourne, Australia
Question is whether it shows S for sport or D for drive (normal). SCR will also keep the revs up. Could be that. That one is noticeable and goes keep the engine in a low gear. That is a passive regeneration rather than the active one.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately not in my case, my car sits predominantly in normal mode. The car does rev a little higher in sport mode, though