Cupra born impulse do 18inch wheels fit?

Jun 27, 2022
Do 18" wheels fit the cupra born impulse as the brakes are bigger than in the standard?
Thanks in advance.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
The Born has 2x front brake versions:
PR: 1LA has 330x23 front discs
PR: 1LB has 340x27 front discs

They all have the same rear drum brake!.

Wheels are:
7,5JX18 ET50
7,5JX19 ET50
8JX20 ET50 or 7,5JX20 ET44

If a car has the bigger 340mm discs I can't see 5mm more on radius being enough to worry about a fitment issue?

The Leon Cupra has 340mm discs and 18" wheels as standard. And you can fit 370 discs under some 18" wheels.

Savage

Nov 12, 2019
Presumably the 340 disk is what is fitted to the e-boost variants ?
On my e-boost I can just get my index finger between the calipers and stock 19" wheels, so around 20mm clearance.
In theory, an 18inch wheel would leave something around 7mm.
I have no idea how much is consider safe, but its close enough that I would want to be certain before buying any !

Interesting you say ET50 on 18 and 19's, I though the 19 and 20's were both ET44 ?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Presumably the 340 disk is what is fitted to the e-boost variants ?
On my e-boost I can just get my index finger between the calipers and stock 19" wheels, so around 20mm clearance.
In theory, an 18inch wheel would leave something around 7mm.
I have no idea how much is consider safe, but its close enough that I would want to be certain before buying any !

Interesting you say ET50 on 18 and 19's, I though the 19 and 20's were both ET44 ?
The offset was quoted directly from a Seat parts catalogue.

Savage

Nov 12, 2019
Yep, you are correct :)
Still no idea if 18's will fit, the brake disks are only 10mm larger diameter, but I think the maybe calipers are bulkier too ?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Still no idea if 18's will fit, the brake disks are only 10mm larger diameter, but I think the maybe calipers are bulkier too ?

Larger brakes can cause clearance issues. On my last VW, I replaced the original alloys with a set of genuine VW alloys from their accessories range. They were the correct size and fitment for my car but after the wheel balance weights had been fitted to the barrels of the wheels, there was only a few millimetres clearance between the balance weights and the front brake calipers. Similarly, there was very little space between the reverse side of the wheel spokes and the face of the front brake calipers.

So if 18’s will fit, there’s a fair chance that not all 18’s will; it may well depend on the design of the wheel.

@Vetku; most reputable online alloy wheel retailers‘ websites will have a vehicle look up facility so in theory, if you input details of your car’s make and model, it should take brake size into account when returning the search results. Therefore, you should only be shown alloys that will fit your car. Bear in mind that by fitting different alloys to an EV, if they’re heavier that the OEM wheels and / or if the tyres are less fuel efficient, then your car’s battery range is likely to be worse than it is with OEM wheels and tyres fitted to your car.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
The 2x version of brakes are of 'similar' single piston sliding design just one is a little bigger. It's not like having a big Brembo caliper on there with 4x pistons.
I would be surprised if they didn't fit! but before spending money maybe a seat part dept can help? Do they sell winter wheels which fit all variants?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.