Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
We’ve been lucky enough to be given the opportunity to road test the new CUPRA Formentor in right-hand drive, after being given an early preview last year.

Hopefully, this review will help answer some questions for those who are looking to buy one, or for those just interested in knowing a bit more about the car.

What is it?

We got our hands on the Formentor VZ2 2.0 TSI 310PS 4Drive 7-speed DSG model. For the UK, this is the most powerful engine that the Formentor will bring, unlike our lucky EU friends – who will be able to marvel in the VZ5 monster. Our VZ2 is in Midnight Black and has the Petrol Blue Nappa Leather with copper stitching interior. It comes packed with technology and plenty for us to test.

Verdict
This coupe SUV innovation is a great addition to the CUPRA lineup. It combines performance, luxury and practicality into one exquisite, technology rich icon, which...

Continue reading...

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
Interesting read. I'm surprised at things like the auto-braking, not something I've had an issue with at all on the Ateca but I guess it's easily fixed. The seats would concern me too. Have Cupra said anything about the wear and tear? Not easy to repair or replace if theyre all knackered after 1 year. Otherwise, how does the centre console look in real life? The photos of the gear lever etc look a bit cheap. Is it the same in the flesh? I know the Golf 8 has had similar criticism but it's hard to guage from photos.

Reactions: Syphon

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Thank you for the great review!

Lane Assist can feel scary. When it kicks in when you don't want it to, you get a sensation that the car is sliding. I think that the best way to avoid is to use the indicator when you are going around the obstacle. I'm finding it less of a bother now but when it happened first time, I thought the car started to slide for a moment.

About the sound/exhaust. I think that Sport and Cupra allow overruns/bangs, but the Cupra is more aggressive in throttle and easier to get it to pop. In the driving profile, I think that Engine Sound setting is connected to both the Soundaktuator and to the exhaust flaps. So if you put the car in "Comfort" sound you don't get pops. After I disconnected Soundaktuator I am much happier.

I hope you tried out Launch Control. :)

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
I personally switch off Lane Assist every time, because I don't want to get heart attack when car suddenly veers to the left (in UK) or trying to kill cyclist or drive over the pothole. I guess, you can use indicator when overtaking cyclist, but would you use it when just avoiding pothole in the road? Drivers behind, may think you will be turning. And on narrow roads, it's even worse.

Regarding adaptive cruise, I will be looking for standard cruise in my next car. It's just extra work to correct adaptive cruise and accelerate when it forgets or when it slows down due to car on the other lane. It's also dangerous, when it brakes for you, when there's no need to brake and car behind may hit you.

All these new tech, that's suppose to save lives and make driving safer, but at the same time, you get touch screen, which is difficult to use while driving. Maybe some lives will be saved, but probably the same number of people will be killed, due to careless drivers, trying to change something on the screen.

Reactions: Mike the_cupra

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Interesting read. I'm surprised at things like the auto-braking, not something I've had an issue with at all on the Ateca but I guess it's easily fixed. The seats would concern me too. Have Cupra said anything about the wear and tear? Not easy to repair or replace if theyre all knackered after 1 year. Otherwise, how does the centre console look in real life? The photos of the gear lever etc look a bit cheap. Is it the same in the flesh? I know the Golf 8 has had similar criticism but it's hard to guage from photos.
Yeah, the centre console buttons do have a slight cheap-ish feel to them. They look like they’d have a nice soft press/click to them, but it’s a very plasticky click, if that makes sense.

It seems as though a few Formentor owners have confirmed the issues with the leather seats, and after asking a few opinions from professionals in detailing and upholstery, it seems like the only way to correct it is to replace the foam inside the seats. Most people I’ve spoken with speculate that it’s a global ‘foam shortage’ due to Covid but that’s just speculation. Only Cupra know the reason why.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike the_cupra

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I personally switch off Lane Assist every time, because I don't want to get heart attack when car suddenly veers to the left (in UK) or trying to kill cyclist or drive over the pothole. I guess, you can use indicator when overtaking cyclist, but would you use it when just avoiding pothole in the road? Drivers behind, may think you will be turning. And on narrow roads, it's even worse.

Regarding adaptive cruise, I will be looking for standard cruise in my next car. It's just extra work to correct adaptive cruise and accelerate when it forgets or when it slows down due to car on the other lane. It's also dangerous, when it brakes for you, when there's no need to brake and car behind may hit you.

All these new tech, that's suppose to save lives and make driving safer, but at the same time, you get touch screen, which is difficult to use while driving. Maybe some lives will be saved, but probably the same number of people will be killed, due to careless drivers, trying to change something on the screen.
I think adaptive cruise, Lane assist and front assist do have a place on our roads, I just think that the technology is designed to work with every other driver adhering to all road safety laws. It doesn’t have any response to ‘inconsiderate’ drivers other than ‘OH MY GOD WE ARE GOING TO CRASH!!’ And then applies the brakes or tries to correct your steering.

The front assist was never an issue in my previous Cupra, however it did save me from a few crashes - which is what you want from the tech. The Formentor just seemed a bit too paranoid, but I believe there is a software update for it which may resolve that.

Reactions: Agnes.Surrey

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
I'm in 2 minds about driver assists.

On the one hand driving standards are so poor that nearly all drivers would benefit from them even if they don't like them, and on the other hand it feels like instead of learning something is too hot and not touching it again, you learn that someone else will always grab your hand to stop yourself getting burned.

It's also nice to remove ego from the driving equation which a computer will do for you.

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
It's also nice to remove ego from the driving equation which a computer will do for you.
But then you're not driving any more, you're being driven by the car.

Also, when driving another car without assitants (friend's, holiday rental, courtesy car), driver can be more prone to accidents, because he/she doesn't pay enough attention to the road. It's dumbing down process.

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
I like driving assists. What I don't like is that the car resets them to ON on each ignition. If I turned off Lane Assist, I'd like for it to stay that way. Same with start/stop. This way if you live in an area where Lane Assist doesn't work well, you'll be annoyed with it every time you drive the car.

Start stop is similar problem, car is very eager to shut down, it will shut down while you are still slightly moving, I had the car turn off when I am entering a roundabout. Sure, it starts up very quickly, but it shouldn't force me to go to menu every time I drive the car.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
It is dumbing down, I agree.

Yes you are being driven by the car to some degree, or correcting your inevitable mistakes I could say, we all make them, all the time, too close, too fast , wandering in a lane not paying attention.
There's a drive to make roads safer everywhere and unless you do something like have mandatory driver refresher training so your driving skills actually improve over time there's not much that can be done other than relieve the driver of some, eventually all of the responsibility for driving.

Well we make choices when we drive, when they are practical ones we are safer, when they are ego driven they are less so.
Assists are about safety, or should be. Assists will get better and you won't have to worry about them.
If I want to drive for fun I go to a track, or did anyway.
Cars are ego driven things, how they look, how fast they are etc. And how they are driven.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
I find no issue with start stop, I've not had a car's engine stop before I stop, and if it did and it was designed that way I see no issue.
It does mean you have to select a gear before you drive off, but the alternative is being in gear clutch in and stationary, not to be recommended and unnecessary.
Implementation s of start stop might have issues ofcourse but it's not something I've come across.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
I think the driver assists on at start up is a requirement for safety ratings for the car. Or at least some of them.

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
I find no issue with start stop, I've not had a car's engine stop before I stop, and if it did and it was designed that way I see no issue.
It does mean you have to select a gear before you drive off, but the alternative is being in gear clutch in and stationary, not to be recommended and unnecessary.
Implementation s of start stop might have issues ofcourse but it's not something I've come across.
If I understand you correctly, you are talking about manual gearbox cars? My car seemed to shut down very eagerly.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
If I understand you correctly, you are talking about manual gearbox cars? My car seemed to shut down very eagerly.
Well you need to still have brakes and steering, so if the vehicle is designed so that can happen I guess it can stop the engine earlier.
In a manual you can't stop the engine while the car is in motion and the clutch not depressed.

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Great review. It looks much better in real life than I anticipated.

That silver on the rear bumper cheapens the look IMO though.

megarax

Mar 12, 2021
Great revue agree with most comments but I bought my car used so had to tax it it’s only £150 a year for the vz2 the vz3 with list over 40k would be more metallic paint doesn’t increase RFL it’s the basic list which is just under the magic 40k that makes the difference
spent ages looking for a white one so it was under 40K however mines graphene grey a 800 quid add on and still only £150 to tax

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020

I've had adaptive cruise on two cars now and it's a game changer. I'm surprised you don't like it. The deceleration can be annoying but once you know the distances it's manageable, and I dont think my cars have ever slammed on brakes on a motorway so that shouldnt be an issue at all!
I like driving assists. What I don't like is that the car resets them to ON on each ignition. If I turned off Lane Assist, I'd like for it to stay that way. Same with start/stop. This way if you live in an area where Lane Assist doesn't work well, you'll be annoyed with it every time you drive the car.

Start stop is similar problem, car is very eager to shut down, it will shut down while you are still slightly moving, I had the car turn off when I am entering a roundabout. Sure, it starts up very quickly, but it shouldn't force me to go to menu every time I drive the car.
Lane assist doesnt come back on unless you turn it on. Have they changed this? Because that would be seriously irritating. Haven't found anyone yet who actually uses it consistently and I very much agree about potholes and cyclists who are definitely more at risk when it's turned on

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members