Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Release from CUPRA UK:

CUPRA is boosting the Leon line-up by broadening the range of engines available, delivering greater value and sophistication for customers.

Both the Leon 5-door hatchback and Estate will be available with a 1.5-litre TSI 150PS petrol engine and a 2.0-litre TSI 190PS petrol engine. The 150PS unit will be available with both manual and DSG-auto gearboxes, while the 190PS unit will be available exclusively with a DSG-auto gearbox.

“The CUPRA Leon is already a king on the road, but we’re always developing the vehicle to maximise the offering for our customers, making it more customisable and grow its sales targets, with the introduction of these engines, our ambition is to achieve a...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Railwayman

Jun 13, 2022
Lancashire
Thanks for the article, very interesting. At this rate they will be able to drop the SEAT Leon altogether? and this will surely hit FR sales.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I seem to remember reading a while back that VAG have positioned Cupra as a premium brand, in which case the newly announced Cupra Leon models in the article above are likely to carry a price premium over the Seat Leon FR. Depending on what that price premium might be, there might not be too much of an impact on Seat Leon sales.

SamuelDonuts

Jan 6, 2017
Midlands
I don't get it. So now CUPRA is not a performance brand, but instead just a premium brand? Here's me thinking I was at the lower end just for having the 245.

Surprised they don't call it CUPRA-line like most other brands seem to do.

Reactions: Billbow

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
They are two separate brands now and CUPRA doesn't like to be called a sub brand. Longer term plans are you won't see crossover models. I suspect this will be the last CUPRA Leon. CUPRA's recently announced range coming in the future won't have SEAT versions. They do appear to have changed their original plans after finding how profitable the models can be.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
A 1.5 Cupra Leon 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I did say this was coming a few years ago

Cupra was always the sporty fast one. Guess it all started with the Formentor and i hazard a guess the 1.5 formentor is the best seller.

Rather de-valued the whole Cupra idea 🧐 they may as well just scrap the Seat brand

mycz7

May 18, 2022
I think they got branding and target client base at the beginning wrong. Based on the way it is designed, infotainment complexity, connectivity and side gigs like Metaverse it seems that the brand was design by 25 year olds for 25-30 year olds. After which they realised that in general 25 year olds now days cant afford 50k car. So they are adding those lower specs to get target group to buy it.

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
Oh well, at least I can now claim my Seat Leon FR E-Hybrid can now beat a Cupra Leon in a drag race.

A sporty sub-division was surely what everyone wanted, that's what gives the cars their desirability, you can spec up any Seat to a pretty luxurious spec, but the engines are what gives you that extra bit of 'superiority' over the Seat Brand, that has now been lost and they are now even less exciting than the DS models who have some pretty boring engines too but IMO their new cars look more premium

Reactions: adrianator

adrianator

Sep 13, 2022
Oh well, at least I can now claim my Seat Leon FR E-Hybrid can now beat a Cupra Leon in a drag race.

A sporty sub-division was surely what everyone wanted, that's what gives the cars their desirability, you can spec up any Seat to a pretty luxurious spec, but the engines are what gives you that extra bit of 'superiority' over the Seat Brand, that has now been lost and they are now even less exciting than the DS models who have some pretty boring engines too but IMO their new cars look more premium
With a software change, you can even make it match the Cupra Leon Hybrid since it's basically the same car, just software limited (same as Golf 8 eHybrid <-> Golf GTE or Skoda Octavia iV <-> Skoda Octavia RS iV)

Reactions: Syphon

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
With a software change, you can even make it match the Cupra Leon Hybrid since it's basically the same car, just software limited (same as Golf 8 eHybrid <-> Golf GTE or Skoda Octavia iV <-> Skoda Octavia RS iV)
On that note:

Anyone know anyone in the UK (preferably Scotland) who can do the software change?

adrianator

Sep 13, 2022
On that note:

Anyone know anyone in the UK (preferably Scotland) who can do the software change?
I don't know there but a guy on local forums said he could do it directly at the dealership (if you ask nicely) for about 800€. He also said that there are 2 downsides:

1. You will void the warranty

2. You'll get less milage on battery because the change is actually the electric motor getting more power.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I don't know there but a guy on local forums said he could do it directly at the dealership (if you ask nicely) for about 800€. He also said that there are 2 downsides:

2. You'll get less milage on battery because the change is actually the electric motor getting more power.

In the UK, it may increase your insurance premium too.

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022

Any idea if this is also possible on the Formentor hybrids?

adrianator

Sep 13, 2022
Any idea if this is also possible on the Formentor hybrids?
The formentor eHybrid already comes with 245hp, right? Or maybe there is a 204hp version in some countries?

Either way, i attached a screenshot from VW's website that confirms there is just a software limitation between 204hp and 245hp hybrids in VAG group

Attachments

• 20221128_031043.jpg
    20221128_031043.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 127